• Register Today It's free!

Discouraged...anyone else?

IslandFamily

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Sterling Gray Limited
So, after talking to our dealer today, I'm just feeling really discouraged. I was so excited for this new car but now I'm just feeling BLAH about the whole experience. We ordered on 2/2, car was built 3/15, first ETA was 3/21, second ETA was 3/30 and as of today, that's STILL our ETA and no one has any idea what's going on. Our dealer says it's "very unusual" and they "have no idea what's going on." I don't want to look at other cars...we did that to begin with. I have my heart set on our car and I know it's out there, I just feel like we're never going to get it. If there is a "hold" on thousands of these cars, why do I feel like I keep reading about people who are getting their cars that were built like yesterday? Isn't there some sort of "line?" You'd think that people would get them in the order they were ordered, to some extent, right? Ugh, soooo frustrating and the worst is hearing the same thing over and over, "we don't know." Who does know???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My car was built 3/7 and it didn't show until last Wednesday 3/30 after missing two ETAs and being told on Monday 3/28 it had no ETA. So it went from nothing to delivered quickly (but my dealer is approx. 40 miles away from the Ex's birthplace, so it could be quick once it got moving).

I was able to pick it up today (naturally it showed while I was out of town for spring break), and I have to say it's worth every second I spent waiting. The other vehicles I was down to were the Highlander and the Flex. I'm super happy I waited.

I feel BLAH about it too and am even thinking of moving on and I'm already looking to get something else.

I've done all the homework I need to do on the various SUV's out there. Honestly, nothing comes close to the Explorer for me. It IS the vehicle that comes out top on my list. Getting something else would be settling for less, so I'll wait to get what I want.

I know some people don't have the luxury of waiting because their lease is expiring, they got rid of another vehicle or just simply have nothing to drive. If I was in a situation like that, I'd probably have to do something, but if you can wait... than just wait.

I guess the question is, do you have to have a new car right now? If the answer is no, then stick with your decision and just wait it out.

Unfortunately, we've chosen to purchase a great vehicle, somewhat early in the first model year.

I don't know about you, but when I saw the X, I just knew that was the right vehicle for our family. My test drive lasted all of 5 minutes because the only X they had on the lot was the GMs, and it was late in the date and he was late for a prior engagement. My sales guy snuck me out in it and I'm so glad he did. The drive just confirmed what my eyes had already told me. This was it.

None of the other cars I looked at did that (Traverse, Acadia, CX-9, MDX, Flex).

So, if you can wait, I'd continue to do so. Once you take delivery, I would assume you'll be like everyone else and love it, and just look back on the waiting as foreplay;)

Problem with waiting is issue with pricing. I know I'm into "what-if" but I don't think it's worth 10 or 20 more per month if incentives go away, residual value changes or interest rate changes. Especially considering some of the deals out there for competitive models.

I hope that waiting will yield the same results as when I ordered from a pricing perspective but this vehicle is not worth a "premium." This isn't an iPhone. JK :)

The anticipation is kind of fun... it's like being a kid again right before Christmas. While waiting, I do stupid things like think on things from "what's the first song I'm going to play on that crazy Sony system" to "what am I going to use to keep my wheels looking good?"

I've also used this time to save money. I found out I qualify for the X-plan. I ordered a brochure to get the $750 incentive. I shopped around for insurance and used my credit union to get a better interest rate. All these things I couldn't have done if the dealer had what I wanted on the lot.

Unfortunately these novelties wear off after a few weeks :)

I've also used this time to save money. I found out I qualify for the X-plan. I ordered a brochure to get the $750 incentive.

some people are saying you can't use X-plan and the $750 brochure money together. What is true and accurate? Does it go by dealer, or they all supposed to be the same.

Same happened here, needed a car and couldn't wait any longer. Ended up with another car on a lease for 3 years, hopefully by then there's gonna be plenty inventory.

Powerofx, Better read this one: Hooray it's here, nightmare pick-up though

My car was built 3/7 and it didn't show until last Wednesday 3/30 after missing two ETAs and being told on Monday 3/28 it had no ETA. So it went from nothing to delivered quickly (but my dealer is approx. 40 miles away from the Ex's birthplace, so it could be quick once it got moving).

I was able to pick it up today (naturally it showed while I was out of town for spring break), and I have to say it's worth every second I spent waiting. The other vehicles I was down to were the Highlander and the Flex. I'm super happy I waited.

Congratulations on getting it in your hands gabella, I'm happy for you! We got ours last night, but I won't be able to thoroughly enjoy it until I get some things straightened out and can spend some time learning in my new ride. The couple of minutes I've spent have been awesome though! :thumbsup:

Congratulations on getting it in your hands gabella, I'm happy for you! We got ours last night, but I won't be able to thoroughly enjoy it until I get some things straightened out and can spend some time learning in my new ride. The couple of minutes I've spent have been awesome though! :thumbsup:

Yeah!! You got it! Is it in time for spring break? I hope everything gets straightened out quickly for you. And, yeah, there's a few things to learn! It's certainly far more complicated than any of my other past vehicles (one being a '95 Ex).

Congrats!!

some people are saying you can't use X-plan and the $750 brochure money together. What is true and accurate? Does it go by dealer, or they all supposed to be the same.

I used X-plan with the $750 brochure offer just yesterday. It may go by dealership, but the finance person plugged in the offers I had into his computer and it showed what could be combined.

Seni gave a phone number for the group within Ford who can answer these types of questions. I can't remember which thread it was on, but you could either PM her, or look through some of the recent threads. If I find it, I'll re-post.

That is INCORRECT. The brochure private cash can be used with the Xplan (none of the other plans). I used Xplan pricing, was able to use my $750 brochure coupon, my $500 early order bonus (ordered before Jan.1) and I got the $1000 Ford incentive. Ford credit also matched my credit union's rate of 2.49% to keep me as a ford credit customer.

Yeah!! You got it! Is it in time for spring break? I hope everything gets straightened out quickly for you. And, yeah, there's a few things to learn! It's certainly far more complicated than any of my other past vehicles (one being a '95 Ex).

Congrats!!

Thanks gabella! Yes, we got in just in time, we leave next week! :D I won't be able to break it in before we leave so I'll just have to add some time to our long drive by varying my speed as much as possible, I'm just happy to have it!

I'm getting discouraged as well, ETA is still 3/26 per Seni and the 1-800 number. I'm giving it until this weekend and then I'll have to start looking at other alternatives. I agree with others who say this is the best vehicle in the class, nothing else wows me but since I'm without a car I don't have a lot of time to just wait for Ford to ship the vehicle.

If someone somewhere could give me more information I'd be a bit more content to wait. Seni has been great with updates, the 800 number somewhat less so, and the dealer keeps saying that they don't have any control over when it actually ships, which actually makes sense. I'm sure someone at Ford has an idea of when my Ex will ship, would just be nice for them to share that info.

That is INCORRECT. The brochure private cash can be used with the Xplan (none of the other plans). I used Xplan pricing, was able to use my $750 brochure coupon, my $500 early order bonus (ordered before Jan.1) and I got the $1000 Ford incentive. Ford credit also matched my credit union's rate of 2.49% to keep me as a ford credit customer.

Actually, they are talking about two different things. There is currently an x-plan $750 rebate that cannot be combined with the $750 brochure rebate. Either, but not both, of these can be combined with x-plan pricing.

Actually, they are talking about two different things. There is currently an x-plan $750 rebate that cannot be combined with the $750 brochure rebate. Either, but not both, of these can be combined with x-plan pricing.

Yes, I know there are 2 different $750 offers that cannot be combined, but the question was specifically xplan pricing (didn't mention xplan rebate) and the $750 brochure offer....
When I was negotiating with my dealer, I as well as my salesman wasn't aware that the 2 $750 offers were not compatible. It wasn't until they went into the system when they discovered the problem... In the end, they wanted to make me happy so instead of the extra rebate they "promised" me in the deal, they ended up giving me a $750 gift cert. for their parts and service dept. It all worked out.

My last two weeks waiting were hell. I barely remembered it all after two miles into my drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We are fortunate in that the new car isn't a necessity. My current car is not leased and other than putting miles on it, we're fine to drive it for however long it takes. The waiting is not fun (anymore) but I'd be MUCH more content if someone could just tell me what's going on. It's the whole, "we have no idea" that is really discouraging. I'd just like to know if my car is most likely to be here in a few weeks, few months...I just want to know something, anything!

Back