spark plugs...preferred and discouraged? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

spark plugs...preferred and discouraged?

4x4rob

Reaction score
City, State
Republic of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT (Lo-HP edition)
I've got a '91 XLT 4x4 that feels down on power. What plugs are preferred and discouraged?

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Motorcraft or Autolite platiumns work fine.

I used the cheap autolite copper plugs and discount brand "xact" plug wires. No complaints yet.

I've got new Bosch Platinum plugs and O'Rielly brand wires in it now.

Motocraft it should be your best bid.
they will use the maximim power out of your engine.

Make sure you do the wires as well. Use anti-seize when installing the new plugs. Also, passenger side plugs are easiest through the wheel well.

Motorcraft are great. Stock factory plugs are platinum.
Oh, BTW, I'm sure there are better but I like the Bosh wires for price, reliability and the radio static restance they have. Most of the guys I hang out with have had them on for a few years with no problems yet.

aldive said:
I recommend Motorcraft double platinum plugs.
------------------------------
Al a lot of guys I know tried the double platinum plugs and didn't see any difference even tho the price is higher than the factory called for motorcraft platinums but that was on a 1st gen Ex. like 4x4rob has.

Avoid the +4's and the Splitfires..they are a marketing gimmick..nothing else. The standard Motorcraft platinum plugs work very well in the Explorers.

I just changed my moms plugs. They were autolite platinums with 75,000ish miles on them and they still looked like brand new. I think that they were well worth the extra $.

marragtop said:
Make sure you do the wires as well. Use anti-seize when installing the new plugs. Also, passenger side plugs are easiest through the wheel well.

Almost exactly what my dad said LOL!

Motocraft, Autolites and Bosch (non +2 or +4) are pretty good plugs for stock ignitions. I wouldn't recommend the Bosch Platinum +2 or +4 plugs unless you have an aftermarket ignition from MSD. Though they are excellent plugs, the stock ignition is too week for them to be useful and can cause your engine to miss. Make sure you get some good wires also and make sure all your coil contacts are clean.

:exp:

Preferred? Motorcraft.
Discouraged? Autolite.

They are NOT the same.

MarksSC94 said:
Motocraft, Autolites and Bosch (non +2 or +4) are pretty good plugs for stock ignitions. I wouldn't recommend the Bosch Platinum +2 or +4 plugs unless you have an aftermarket ignition from MSD. Though they are excellent plugs, the stock ignition is too week for them to be useful and can cause your engine to miss. Make sure you get some good wires also and make sure all your coil contacts are clean.

:exp:

Actually, the stock ignition is excellent and very "strong".

I ran Bosch platinums in my '91, it ran great. I am running Autolites single in my '92 now and it runs great. I have not tried the Motorcraft yet, maybe next time, but these other two plugs are good.

ford didn't just wake up and say lets put this plug in this taurus sho and then mod it and use it for the explorer.... I would say stay with factory they put alot of time into finding what would work best under all conditions.... they even make a double platinum for a tad bit more if i'm not mistaken?

As a man who has owned everything from F150's to Taurus SHO's and everything inbetween, Motorcraft platinum plugs are the way to go. The Motorcraft wires are also very high quality and will provide the best results. Will cost about $110 for both plugs and wires from most Ford dealers, unless you know someone. Hope this helps:)

Fast Parts Network is a sponsor of this site, look UP^ and find their ad on here. You will get factory parts cheaper than the Dealer.
BTW: Factory parts are NOT always the best, most of their research is probably done to find the cheapest but good enough parts to put on their vehicles. Some times they hit on some good ones. Saving $1.00 on each part could mean them saving a million dollars or more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I actually use the E3 spark plugs. I replaced 10k mile old Autolite Double Platinums with the E3s and noticed a 1 mpg increase around town and on the freeway and a smoother idle. Definitely recommended.

Back