• Register Today It's free!

do 1996 xlts have coil springs

ekimmai

Reaction score
City, State
Crawfordville, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
Im about to purchase another explorer this one is a 96 xlt needs a motor for 300 dollars. i couldnt pass it up i have tried lowering a torsion bolt front end 97 sport and it was more of a headache than i wanted to deal with... so i was hoping there was someone out there that could tell me if the 96 xlts have coil springs..... thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Coil springs no.. all torsion bar on explorers until 02 when the new explorer went torsion bar less.

91-94 - Front Coil Springs, Rear Leaf Springs
95-01 - Front Torsion Bars, Rear Leaf Springs

So lowereing the `96 will be the EXACT same procedure as the `97 you have experience with. Look on the good side, you know what you are doing this time. So it will be a little easier.

Ryan

is there anyway i could cut and weld a 94 front half of the frame or just the section where the control arms are and put it on a 96? because im not a fan of the torsion bars and its a pain in the a$$ to try to bag or even find lowering parts for them.... thanks for the info

Just don't buy the '96 if it's not what you want.

It will envolve a lot of work (read fabrication) to try and weld the front of a 91-95 chassis to a '96.

well i like the way the the 95 to 00s look bagged i dont like the box styles look and i dont really have the money to buy an 02 for the coil front end...... would a ranger front suspension fit under either of mine? i cant find an answer to that anywhere

got an idea for you-get a 91-94 explorer so it will be easier for you to lower them put a 95-01 front end on it.

if you want to bag it i deffinatly would not want to switch it to Ibeams. You can use a 3wd ranger clip but the geometry is still not that great. I say go with a mustang II front clip. Alot of ranger guys also use pre95 yota clips as well when bagging. They have similar geometry and camber to the M2. oh yea and a torsion bar truck is alot easier to bag than an Ibeam truck lol(depending on the geometry and other factors.

i was talking about the 99 fronts with the control arms because i was the drop arms and spindles.
i dont like the headache of i beams

a 2 wheel drive should be easy to lower,, it doesn't have front cv's and axles,, build a pocket and bag away ,, ,

Back