• Register Today It's free!

do 2002's suck?

jrowe6

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt
one of my friends wants an explorer.....he has about 6,000 to spend on it and refuses to get one like mine....2nd gen. he wants a 3rd gen. so i've been lookin around for him to see what will be the best truck for the money. i found a site that showed the number of repairs/complaints for different cars by year. it showed the 2002 explorer as having unusually high repair/complaint numbers. especially for the transmissions. then i started looking on auto trader and ebay for 2002-2005 explorers and noticed the 2002's are noticably cheaper than 2003's even when they have loads more miles on them. so the question is, buy a 2002 with about 100,000 miles, or get a 2003 with a few more. i personally would take a good truck with more miles over a bad truck with fewer miles. miles dont mean anything to me anymore, its more about how good the truck was built and how well it has been maintained. so yea....i would love some opinions. as unbiased as possible lol.
thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stay away from the 02s, either get an 03, or move back to the previous generation.

its really that bad eh? that would explain the prices i've been seeing.

Yup. First year of a new model line, and the transmissions were not up to task, or the Ford reputation. I agree with IZ- get an 03, or go back and find a nice EB/Limited V8 2nd gen. :)

There have been a LOT of 2002 discussions on this and other sites more than just about any year Explorer I've seen. Of course, owners of that year that aren't having problems will tell you how great they are, but they've got to be choked because their resale value is impacted.

I'm not a huge fan of the 3rd gen, but I'd personally buy as late into the generation as possible if I went that route. Just too much bad press on the '02 for my liking. This topic can actually get a bit emotional at times!

Steer clear of '02 is all I'd tell your buddy. Where there's smoke, there's fire.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, from what I can tell, early 2002 models seem to have more problems. But keep in mind that "2002" models were introduced early "2001" during the launch of the 3rd gen. So 2002 model actually spans pretty much two model years. I think if your friend gets a later one that was actually built in mid to late 2002, he will probably be in the same boat as getting a 2003. I seem to remember that one give away for an early build is that the front seats do not have raisable headrests...the seatbacks had integral head rest.

Well, from what I can tell, early 2002 models seem to have more problems. But keep in mind that "2002" models were introduced early "2001" during the launch of the 3rd gen. So 2002 model actually spans pretty much two model years.
Even though it may have been built in 2001, it would still be considered as a 2002 Explorer. The only way it could be a 2001 is if it has a solid rear axle.

Even though it may have been built in 2001, it would still be considered as a 2002 Explorer. The only way it could be a 2001 is if it has a solid rear axle.

That is my point...many 2002 explorers were built both in 2001 and 2002. IIRC, 2002 explorers went on sale in Feb. of 2001. OPs friend, if considering 2002, should make sure to buy one that was built in 2002, not 2001.

That is my point...many 2002 explorers were built both in 2001 and 2002. IIRC, 2002 explorers went on sale in Feb. of 2001. OPs friend, if considering 2002, should make sure to buy one that was built in 2002, not 2001.

It doesn't really matter the build date...the 2001 is a 2nd gen, 2002 is a 3rd gen....complete different design from bumper to bumper. It's arbitrary when the parts were made and when it was assembled....if it's a 2002 then it's a 2002. There were no "good build dates" on the 02 models...they are just notorious in general for having a lot of issues.

I picked an 03 just for that reason...and yep, my 03 was built and sold in 2002...but it doesn't mean anything, because being sold as an 03, means it got the changes from the 02 added to it.....

this is not the information i was hoping for. but it is exactly what i expected after reading up about the 3rd gen on other websites. too bad really but it is what it is. i'll make sure he doesnt get an 02. thanks for being honest. i talked him into getting an explorer and i would hate for it to be a lemon!

As on owner of an 02 that hasn't had all of the problems I am on of the lucky few, when I purchased mine there wasn't all of the data that is out there now. When I get ready to purchase another one I would not go with another 02 (even though I love it) because of all the listed problems, but deff love the body style.

It doesn't really matter the build date...the 2001 is a 2nd gen, 2002 is a 3rd gen....complete different design from bumper to bumper. It's arbitrary when the parts were made and when it was assembled....if it's a 2002 then it's a 2002. There were no "good build dates" on the 02 models...they are just notorious in general for having a lot of issues.

I picked an 03 just for that reason...and yep, my 03 was built and sold in 2002...but it doesn't mean anything, because being sold as an 03, means it got the changes from the 02 added to it.....

I am all for purchasing 2003 but the quote above is not exactly correct. Manufacturers and suppliers make revisions (both improvements and to correct defects) to parts mid year all the time, especially if problems are identified. It is also not "arbitrary" when the parts were made and assembled. (I was a Ford manufacturing engineer for several years 1993 time frame). Build date absolutely matters. I bought my 2002 new because of my needs at the time. Mine has not had abnormal amount of problems compared to others although I will say that problems of the Explorer was a lot more than any other Ford cars I have owned which has soured me on going Ford again.

I am all for purchasing 2003 but the quote above is not exactly correct. Manufacturers and suppliers make revisions (both improvements and to correct defects) to parts mid year all the time, especially if problems are identified. It is also not "arbitrary" when the parts were made and assembled. (I was a Ford manufacturing engineer for several years 1993 time frame). Build date absolutely matters.
But instead of looking at the vehicle's build Month and trying to figure out which changes were implemented on which Month (can get confusing and time consuming), its easier to just skip all 2002s across the board and go straight to a 2003. This makes much more sense when one is purchasing a vehicle because we dont always know the build Month of an Explporer on a CraigsList ad for example.

But instead of looking at the vehicle's build Month and trying to figure out which changes were implemented on which Month (can get confusing and time consuming), its easier to just skip all 2002s across the board and go straight to a 2003. This makes much more sense when one is purchasing a vehicle because we dont always know the build Month of an Explporer on a CraigsList ad for example.

Yup, that is the safest and easiest...I was just addressing the situation where OP's friend wants to consider 2002's because of the cheaper price.

I agree that '02s are particularly problematic. However, that is not to say that subsequent years aren't a handful.

Btw, a buddy just purchased a new Exp...3 months in and he needs a new trans. Unreal....

I am the original owner of a 4.0L V6 4X4 2002 Eddie Bauer that now has 71,000 miles. It has given me almost no trouble over the years, very reliable truck. YMMV

As shown on my sig I have the '02 XLT V8...original owner as well with 92k miles. I've had just about every problem discussed on this forum, However, the majority have been repaired by myself. The one problem I haven't encountered is a catastrophic trans failure (fingers crossed).

Repairs done or planned (off the top of my head):
  • Door Ajar - Driver side door switch
  • Hole melted in elbow of intake system. Replaced with fuel line elbow
  • Shift lever lock mechanism - though it was solenoid but was not
  • Fan control resistor replaced. Fixed loss of two lower fan speeds
  • Slight whine in rear - drain and refill rear
  • Front hubs/bearings replaced
  • Rear hubs/bearings replaced
  • Front rotors replaced once - problem has not recurred in 20k miles
  • Lack of heat - top off coolant - must find leak
  • Driver side mirror control flaky - likely mirror control switch
  • Hard kick when shifting in lower gears - Solenoid pack will be replaced

that seems totally ridiculous to me. i have a 99xlt 4x4 with the ohv 4.0, over 200,000 miles on it. only things wrong with it right now is 1: the 4low shift motor died, which i dont use and 2: the engine is running lean for some reason. which i think is because ALL the components on the engine other than the MAF and iac valve have over 200,000 miles on them.....lol. and yet it starts every time and gets me where i need to go. so thats the standard i have set for ford at the moment. its hard for me to consider one that wont be as tough and reliable as the one i have, even if im not the one buying it!

I have a 2002 Eddie Bauer with a build date late in 2002 and I love it. Only prob so far was the 4wd control module, driver side seat belt and the rear applique cracked because something hit it. Just my opinion, but if I had read the info on here before I bought one, I prob would not have bought a 2002.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just get one with a warranty. I would buy another 02 if I had to but I would just get one with a warranty.

Back