Do I have the right rearview mirror? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I have the right rearview mirror?

Fast 79

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer Edition
Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum as I just recently purchased an '06 Eddie Bauer Edition Explorer last year. Now I'm taking the time to fix all the "little" things that I notice after using it awhile.

I did notice that my compass only displays "--" in the message center, so after some investigating, I noted that my mirror (which is auto-dimming) has a 7-pin connector on the backside with only a 3 wire harness plugged in. There is a seperate 4-wire harness that is just dangling there that does not fit into the back of the mirror and likely goes to the compass that is usually positioned slightly below the mirror (correct if I'm wrong).

So, my deduction is that this mirror is not original, but is a replacement mirror. My question is, considering there are 4 empty slots on the back of the mirror and 4 wires in the dangling harness, are these slots even meant for a compass and, if so, can I somehow insert the dangling wires into the mirror and get the compass back online.

Note that the auto dimming works fine and that the compass is displayed in my message center on the dash, not in the mirror itself.

Thanks!!

CSF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I can tell from the 2006 owners manual Ford never had the compass display in the auto dimming mirror, it is only shown in the information center. I believe you are thinking of the GMC/Chevy SUV's that have that feature. The back of my mirror has a 7 pin connector, but only the first 3 slots are utilized so it sounds like you are fine.

Hey Gibby,

Do you have a compass indicator on your message center that works then? As far as I can tell, the mirror should have a mount beneath it where a little black box that IS the actual compass, and the dangling cords that are present in my vehicle should plug into it. Since my mirror does not have that mount, does that mean the compass is inside the mirror or is there no compass at all? Wondering what the other 4 connectors on the back of the mirror may be for then. There is no Homelink or mic on the mirror.

Thanks!

CSF

Yes, the compass indicator in my message center works. The sensor for the compass is on the back side of the mirror facing out toward the glass inside the plastic casing. You can tell where it is based on where the reset button is located. I am not sure if it changed in later years, but that is how they did it in 06. Hard to say what the other connectors are for, but ford uses the same mirror for different models so I don't know.

See I don't have the little black box under the mirror nor a place where it should mount so I definitely have the wrong mirror. Guess I have to find the right one and install it.

I really don't know what you mean by a black box under the mirror. Maybe post a link to a picture of what you are talking about?

I should have looked up the parts available for you at fordparts.com to see exactly what was offered for your vehicle and is offered as a replacement. It looks like there are 7 different possibilities for an inside rear view mirror on the 2006 explorers.
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/C...arch=1&keyword=inside rear view mirror#Search
My recommendation is to go to fordparts.com, put in your VIN for the vehicle and search "inside rear view mirror" to see exactly which one fits with the vehicle. After looking at the diagrams I understand what you are talking about now regarding a "small black box" (the diagrams are suggesting you are referring to the compass assembly), but you need to reference the web site to figure out exactly what part you need.

Edit: I must have been very tired when originally conversing with you because I somehow missed the fact that you were stating that you don't get a directional heading readout in your message center... my fault completely on that one. You do need to get the compass assembly from fordparts.com ($51.00) or try a salvage yard in order for things to work correctly again.

Unfortunately, I don't have the priviledge of posting photos from my hard drive to the forum, but you've got the idea now. There is no mount on my rearview to attach the compass assembly like I've seen in photos I've viewed, meaning that I would likely have to buy the whole mirror assembly to keep the look clean.

I have found a few on Ebay for $60 to $80, so that isn't bad. I was just wondering if, by chance, the mirror that is there was a newer model and they had somehow moved the compass assembly inside the mirror. Thus, I could possibly attach the remaining 4 wires to a harness and plug them in. However, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Thanks for the help!!

CSF

From looking closely at mine, it does not mount on the glass. It actually clips on to/over the mounting base of the mirror and is held in place that way.

That little black box for the compass, just clips on the back of my 08 ltd.
Perhaps the clip on yours may have somehow got broken by the previous owner. You just might need that black box ? Compass Assy.
The part # for my 08 Ltd is 6L2Z-19A548-A. cost with discount at dealer is $40.91.

2008explorer4x4,

Clips on eh? Hmmmm maybe that's what has occurred. I couldn't find a close up of the assembly and how it attached to the mirror so I assumed there should be a mount on the mirror base. But if it's just a clip on, that could be the answer. Time to contact the dealership here and see if that's the case and what the cost is here.

Again, thanks for the help!

CSF

Back