• Register Today It's free!

do i need more power?

92fordexp

Reaction score
City, State
eden tx/lynbrook ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer
hello iam towing a 3500 pd car from ny to tx with a 92 explorer its stock and i will be beefing up the rear suspension to help hold the load.so what would u recomend to help the engine and tranny besides oil cooler and tranny cooler not sure if i would need more power but if so what would i need to help the truck out thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Automatic Transmission? rated to tow 5000 lbs. Definately want a transmission cooler. Also, you might want helper springs on the back to prevent the rear end fron sagging.

lol i put the spring question in the suspension part the explorers all sag in the rear i think alittle bit so i want to beef it up any recomendations on helpersprings?thanx

I believe summit racing has some...

I would invest in a tow hitch receiver 2" type. someone who knows the classifications chime in. if you were just going a few miles its on the margin, but theres alot of snafu occuring between NY and TX, this will also let you level the trailer to the truck, which keeps the "tail from wagging the dog" make sure you have the engine FORWARD on the trailer so you get enough tongue weight. have you ever towed before?

I see you are from NY, if you already have a tow hitch, if its "OE" equipment, make sure its not rusted out (sometimes looks like delaminating plywood if its real bad)

Don't drive in OD, you'll kill the tranny. DO consider at least tranny and oil changes before and after a tow that long, heat kills, questionable tranny fluid not good. Check brakes & Pads, not an option.

try and "highway it" as much as possible, plan on not going fast AT ALL if you go straight through the mountains, if your in a rush, you should have taken another day off. make sure you don't tailgate, you can't stop fast, don't drive like you can.

If you DO end up on mountain highway, try to keep it slow on the downhills, pull off often off and on, to let brakes and nerves cool. DON'T be in the left lane on long uphill stretches, its not your lane today.

stay out of overdrive.
stay out of overdrive.
stay out of overdrive.

those are the basics.

i jsut bought the add a leafs for my truck... they are awesome...

i drive a toyota, but i put in explroer add a leafs.... got them from summit

EXP-13120
$29.95

awsome thanxs alot guys. yes ive towed before actually i towed my 600 pd quad with a 300 pd trailer on my car that iam towing. was doing awsome i towed from nd to tx but i but the quad or atv on backwards and for somereason when i was about an hour into texas it started to sway if the car wasent pulling. so hope i dont have that because this isnt light the car handeled great tho besides that. no problems the car was only allowed by nissan to carry 1000pds well i need to weigh it it weighed 1400 with everything all our stuff and us. so i think the truck will do good there a brand new tranny in it with 100 miles on it and oil is amsoil. so i will be getting oil cooler not sure witch one yet. need some help on a good one. have a tranny cooler and going to get a pusher electric fan. also aal and helper spring i hope it does fine. its funny u say no overdrive besides its the way to pull have loads i havent had it for 2 years thats y i got a new tranny now i cant use it on this long trip well thanx andrew

Back