Do the little convex mirrors in the side mirrors need adjusting in 2016 Ford Explorer XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do the little convex mirrors in the side mirrors need adjusting in 2016 Ford Explorer XLT?

100pctFord

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
I just got the Explorer and the blind spots are much larger than I'm use to. I've studied the little convex blind spot mirrors https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...&userMarket=USA&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False but unless I'm doing something wrong, my convex mirrors do not show what's in my blind spots. The drive side convex side mirror shows way to the left of the blind spot. Even to the point of showing traffic going the other way (on a four lane road).

I've had the little circular stick on mirrors in previous vehicles and they work good (although they're hard to see when wet and very reflective with headlights hitting them). The built-in mirror in the Explorer has neither of those problems, so it would be nice if it could be adjusted to pick up the actual blind spot. Can it? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm a firm believer in those small 2" stick-ons. Have used them for more than 50 years.
As for the built-in ones you have. They are not adjustable. They are what they are. To get the view you want, you will have to adjust the mirror itself, which I'm guessing you have already tried.
There don't appear to be many complaints about those convex mirrors. This is the only other thread I found and even the majority of posts don't agree with the OP. 2011 Explorer XLT side view mirror convex inserts unsafe at night! Options?

Peter

I'm a firm believer in those small 2" stick-ons. Have used them for more than 50 years.
As for the built-in ones you have. They are not adjustable. They are what they are. To get the view you want, you will have to adjust the mirror itself, which I'm guessing you have already tried.
There don't appear to be many complaints about those convex mirrors. This is the only other thread I found and even the majority of posts don't agree with the OP. 2011 Explorer XLT side view mirror convex inserts unsafe at night! Options?

Peter
Thanks for the welcome and information, Peter. I just got the Explorer, so I'll do some more experimenting with the mirrors. On a previous vehicle, I did have glare from the 2" stick-on mirror though from traffic behind, though. And they were ineffective with raindrops on them. But I think (as mentioned in that other thread) the blue tinted stick-ons might resolve the glare issue. And the rain issue--well, can't do anything about that. Appreciate your help.

I just got the Explorer and the blind spots are much larger than I'm use to. I've studied the little convex blind spot mirrors https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...&userMarket=USA&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False but unless I'm doing something wrong, my convex mirrors do not show what's in my blind spots. The drive side convex side mirror shows way to the left of the blind spot. Even to the point of showing traffic going the other way (on a four lane road).
I am having the same problem with the same year and model. Blind spot on the driver side is useless. The passenger side is perfect. Are the mirrors the same mount as the newer models for a possible upgrade?

I am having the same problem with the same year and model. Blind spot on the driver side is useless. The passenger side is perfect. Are the mirrors the same mount as the newer models for a possible upgrade?
Are you the original owner? Seeing as there are only 2 reports on this issue, it is possible that it is a defect. Instead of looking to replace the mirror, perhaps you could just replace the glass portion. Outside Mirrors for 2017 Ford Explorer | Levittown Ford Parts

Peter

For +20 years I have had owner installed 2" round convex blind spot mirrors on my vehicles. I have owned my 2014 Explorer for about 9 months and still have not found the factory style convex mirrors as intuitive, or as useful.

I got the 2-in mirrors like Peter suggested except mine don't swivel. They work great for me. I don't even notice Ford's little mirrors now.
IMG_20230617_165855737.jpg

Back