Do you think a 2002 explorer is good for me? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you think a 2002 explorer is good for me?

predator4325

Reaction score
Alright, right now I have a 1992 maxima with 183,000 miles on it. I don't know how much longer its going to last but I do know I have to start saving for a new car. I am really interested in an explorer expecially the 3rd generations. I've got about $3,800 saved up. I figure I can save about $700 a month. I'm 19 so I've got no credit, so I guess cash is my main option. I'm going to try and save as long as I can but I don't want to wait over a year.

So I would have about 12 grand 8 months from now. I'd say I drive about 40 miles a day, so gas is not a major issue. I just want a car that will last me a long time and that I really really like. To be honest I don't need the space the explorer provides at all. I can't think of anything I would need the cargo room for now, but I guess the space will come in handy in the future. I want to get a really good sound system for it too. A black explorer with leather interior :notworthy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sort of sticking out my neck here on a pro-Explorer site, but I have a 2002 Explorer and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It's very roadworthy in bad weather (that is, when the 4WD feels like working), but that's about the only good thing I can say about it. Very poor engineering on the electronic side, in my humble opinion. It's the last Ford I'll ever own.

Mark W. in MI

I have a 02 mountaineer. (same thing). Even my mechanic wants me to get rid of it. Try an 04 or closer. I have learned not to buy the first year of a new generation.

Yep, I like to avoid a first year of any model. My 05 f150 will be the last NEW ford product i ever own either.

I love our 2002. White with black leather and the V8. No issues so far, and we have about 75000 miles on it.

2002 4x2 xlt with leather and 3rd row. very comfortable ride, feels great inside, BUT had rear end and transmission probs at 85K miles, replaced both. all major and minor maintenance were done at recommended mileage using original parts if replacement was ever needed. Now i'm at 102K miles and everyday that I drive it, I'm afraid it will die on me.
my suggestion to you is stay away from 2002 if you go with explorer.

Check the ratings on edmonds.com or one of the others, and find a good year. It may be that improvements were made after the first year and so '03 would be a better choice.

Also, if you have no credit but a job, car dealers would love to offer you your first account, and you just have to be 18 in most states, 21 in others. Now is a great time to buy a used Explorer, the market is flooded with them as leases expire and people downsize for beter gas mileage, resulting in lower prices and better deals. I've been looking at Ford dealer listings for a used Ranger and find 1-2 of them and 20+ Explorers.

Yeah i m 18 and in college and ive had my 02 Explorer Xlt V8 since January. What ever you do make sure you get one with a warranty. Mine had 50,000 miles when i got it last january. Since then its close to 70,000 miles and its been quite a few flatbed trucks. Something electrical (not too major $350) went out the week after i bought it and stopped the truck in its tracks. Then the transmision was shifting funny and the solenoids and a few other things in the trans needed replacing(around 1,000) also the heating core went out ($???) Then at around 70,000 the shocks and struts need replacing ($500).

The warranty will pay for itself with an Explorer Believe me. So its worth it. But i love the car. It drives great. Its fast for its size and handles great.

IMHO.....18-22, still in school......well IF it were me, I'd be looking at paying cash (and buying basic insurance) and getting something that will get me from point A to B w/o fuss. A reliable vehicle and something that the GAS stations won't be seeing much of. A commute of 40 mile is a big deal, to me........gas prices and MPGs (of an SUV) being an issue.

Hey, IF you can save $700 a month..........that is great.

Don't blow it on a car........invest it in your future. Pay off the student loan.......or start saving for your home or retirement (yes, I said retirement).

I'm 48 and retired in 2003. I'm not a millionaire or even close.....but, it can be done.......with planning.

Aloha, Mark

Yeah I decided to not get the explorer. I've got 5 more years of college ahead of me. Plus with all the bad reviews I've been hearing on the explorer, its just not worth it. I'm going to try to save for the future, when I'm still young.

Back