Does anybody know anything about AirBags ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anybody know anything about AirBags ?

Lemondrop

Reaction score
City, State
Cocoa , Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Sport , 1996 XLT 5.0
Im going to install airbags in my new/used explorer. I bought it wrecked and the bags were blown . Ive gota set of used bags Im putting in but does anybody know any test to make sure they wont deploy as soon as they are plugged in ? I have a volt/ohm meter I can check values with if needed . The pass. side airbag sensor on the front of the X was smacked . I have a new one to put in it's place . Anyway , all Im wondering is if the module has to be replaced from a bag deploy or if you simply install the new bags and run . Thanks in advance .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure that the sensor is replaced first, and make sure that the battery is disconnected before you install the bags. I don't know of any checks for the bag, but that doesn't mean there isn't.
Maybe someone else know that answer.

I don't know how to check the bags (stand aside when you clip 'em in!!!) but when you disconnect your battery you have to wait 5 minutes to let the reserve dissipate too.

I know reserve is not what it's called but I have the factory manual at home and it says there's a humpilator thingy that takes approx. 5 min to discharge. If you mess with the bags before that . . . BOOM

Thanks , I figured I was gonna have the battery off as thats only the smart thing to do . I just didnt know if the airbag module fries when the bags blow . I supposed I can check the connectors to see if there is a voltage charge on them before I disconnect the battery and hook the bags up . Anyone who knows , please speak up:)

I'll check the manual when I get home. If there's anything in it I'll post. If not, I won't. Good luck.

The airbag module will have to be replaced. When you have 1 airbag the module will be fine, but when you have 2 it fries. I replaced a set in a 95 Grand Marquis, and had to replace the module as well. You will also need to check the sensors, probably the same as the Marquis 2 in the front on the radiator support not hard to find. If they survived the crash they will reset themselves. Make sure the wiring was not damged for these or the rest of the system. You will also need to check the fuse for the airbags in the fusebox sometimes it blows (mine was) and needs to be replaced, before you put new airbags, and module in while the battery is off. Putting the airbags in was a breeze. The module was easy, but kind of hard to get to on the Marquis (passenger kick panel) yours might be easier. Mine have been repaired for over a year with no problem. Good Luck! Let us know how it goes and if you need anything else and I'll try to help.

Havent had time yet to do anything . Will it blow the bags if I install them with the old module ? I wanna put it together and then replace the module if possible . If nobody knows for sure Ill get me a module .

I do not know what it will do. I just waited till I had everything and installed it all with the battery disconnected.

Lemondrop
I don't know to much about the newer airbag systems but the ones that were pre 92 would blow if the airbag module and the sensor in the impact zone ( front or rear) was not replaced, the sensors were a one time use, also you would have to reset the onboard computer system ( unhook the battery for 10-15 min ) to factory specs before putting any power to the vehicle. You could go to your local ford dealer and walk into the body shop and just ask a body tech about it also, usually there pretty helpful.
good luck let us know how it goes..

Back