Does anyone make sway bars for the New Explorers?(02-03) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone make sway bars for the New Explorers?(02-03)

Big Green

Reaction score
City, State
OKC, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.6L
I have been doing some searching and am having a hard time finding a company that makes sway bar upgrades for the newer Ex's. The only one I have found so far is Steeda, has anyone used their bars? How will a new sway bar and shocks affect the handling on my ex (being 4 wheel independent) compared to the handling on a solid axle explorer. Does the fact that I have independent all around mean that my car naturally handles better than those in previous years? Thanks

After further inspection

I just went out and looked my current sway bar, it looks huge, it looks like the size of EE's upgrade. Does anyone know the size of the SB for the new ex's? Could it be possible that Ford beefed up the sway bars in 02?

I do believe your front one is similar to the EE one. The EE one just replaces the 95-(?)97s that are hollow. I don't know what you'd do about the back ones. I don't quite see how they work.

Originally posted by IAmTodd
I do believe your front one is similar to the EE one. The EE one just replaces the 95-(?)97s that are hollow. I don't know what you'd do about the back ones. I don't quite see how they work.

They work pretty much like a torsion bar. Its made of spring steel and as the body rolls one end of the bar bends down and the other end bends up. This makes a twisting force against the direction of the body lean.

Back