Does Jiffy Lube owe me? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does Jiffy Lube owe me?

jbwilson3791

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
First off I know I probably shouldn't be taking my 2004 Ford Explorer to jiffy lube for a transmission flush. I usually do my own work if it's simple but since these are closed systems I didn't have the equipment to do it. Anyway a couple weeks after I had his done I noticed a bad transmission fluid leak coming from each side of the bell housing but more so on the side with the starter. I took it back to jiffy lube twice trying to question them and see if there is anything they could have done to cause this leak or if it is just a coincidence that this happened shortly after. They told me that the process they use takes out the transmission fluid and replaces it with the exact same amount, but they also seemed clueless about the double nut system and said they went through transmission lines.
So I did research on how to check the levels, took a T30 bit and removed the center threaded but from the pan and at least 6 quarts of transmission fluid poured out in a steady stream before the steady drip indicating proper level. So my question is, could this extra fluid cause any damage? My guess is that the extra fluid was causing some to be pushed out the vent which looks like it might drain into the bell housing but I really have no idea, that's just a hopeful guess as to why it's leaking. Also since, a loud grinding rattle has become noticible on startup, but I think I have traced this to a catalytic converter (not positive but pretty sure) so probably unrelated. Do you guys have any advice on how to handle this? Thanks in advance guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd say forget about Iffy Lube. They aren't going to help you anyway, and since you removed the extra fluid yourself (instead of having another mechanic do it), you have no evidence/record of the problem (your word vs. theirs). Make sure you have the level right (checked at the proper temperature, in gear if necessary), and see whether the leak stops or not. If it does, consider yourself lucky and move on. If not, you are probably out of luck, and you don't want them trying to fix it anyway. The chances of getting any money out of them are about zero.

I'd say forget about Iffy Lube. They aren't going to help you anyway, and since you removed the extra fluid yourself (instead of having another mechanic do it), you have no evidence/record of the problem (your word vs. theirs). Make sure you have the level right (checked at the proper temperature, in gear if necessary), and see whether the leak stops or not. If it does, consider yourself lucky and move on. If not, you are probably out of luck, and you don't want them trying to fix it anyway. The chances of getting any money out of them are about zero.

I was actually able to get my refund for the tranny flush and I think I lucked out and the leak has stopped since removing the excess fluid.

Cool. Glad to hear it! I'm impressed that they could even get six extra quarts into it!

Sounds like Jiffy Lube had the procedure screwed up. You're supposed to fill until a little fluid dribbles out of the torx fitting, they thought you fill until some dribbles out of the overflow tube.

Cool. Glad to hear it! I'm impressed that they could even get six extra quarts into it!

It's even more impressive that it would have had to have been even more than 6qts considering it leaked for 2 months pretty heavily.

Sounds like Jiffy Lube had the procedure screwed up. You're supposed to fill until a little fluid dribbles out of the torx fitting, they thought you fill until some dribbles out of the overflow tube.

I actually think they didn't even know about those fittings. I think they went through the transmission lines. I bet they filled it to the top too

Quick lube shops ****sigh****

You should spend the $15 and get a pump and adapter, then redo it yourself with a new filter. It's actually very easy to do.

You should spend the $15 and get a pump and adapter, then redo it yourself with a new filter. It's actually very easy to do.

Thanks for the idea. Have a link for where to get that?

Back