Does my Explorer adjust AWD ratio when slipping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does my Explorer adjust AWD ratio when slipping

socci

Reaction score
City, State
Coventry, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
I have been looking into this all over the internet, and I have seen people come up with every answer under the sun. Im just looking for a simple explanation from someone who knows for a fact how my 2000 AWD 5.0 system works. I do not have any buttons on my dash or any of that. Is it always 40/60, or does it switch to 50/50 when slipping? We just got our first real snow here up north and I took it out for a drive. It did pretty well, but I did not feel like when it was slipping that any power was transferred to the front, the rear just kept kicking out.

So in a nut shell, does a 2000 5.0 awd model transfer power to the front or anywhere else when tires are slipping? I only ask because it is nice to know what is going on when I am driving, and I have never owned a awd truck before.

I appreciate any info, I am just sick of reading so many different responses

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well hope it helps and this was taken WIkipedia

LINK

The Explorer is available with full-time Intelligent four-wheel drive using open front & rear differentials with 3.39:1 gearing and an electronic center coupling by Haldex. The electronic center coupling controls the front-to-rear torque distribution (torque split) between the front & rear drive wheels and acts as a center differential to allow for full-time operation. The power take off (PTO) unit has a heavy-duty dedicated cooling system to allow the front drive based, four-wheel-drive system to supply continuous non-stop torque delivery to all four wheels indefinitely without overheating.[22] "4WD" badging is also included on the rear liftgate.[23][24] Explorer’s overall off road crawl ratio is 15.19:1 with high range gearing only.

Off road electronics include Hill Descent Control (HDC), Hill Ascent Assist (HAA), 4-wheel electronic traction control and Terrain Management.

4-wheel electronic traction control (ABS braking) is employed to force the open front and rear differentials to behave like limited-slip differentials, transferring torque from side-to-side.[22] In the right conditions, the Explorer can keep moving even if only one front wheel has traction.

Terrain Management will include four selectable modes. Each mode can be selected via a rotary control dial on the center console, aft of the transmission shifter.

This is not right one little bit for the AWD case found in our 5.0 trucks.

The AWD in our trucks uses a viscious fluid clutch that thickens when differences come about from any slip (between the plates, plate for front and one for rear..) . It's usually a 40/60 split, that or 30/70.. I can't remember... there is absolutely no electronic control with the actual AWD tcase.. It does adjust as I sorta mentioned before.. but I don't believe it achives a perfect 50/50 split like 4x4 rigs, it allows slip.. it's not actually locked. Sorry if I kind of butchered any of the statement above, I've had a little to drink.. haha..... just look up AWD and viscious clutch or something and it'll point you to the right direction plus you'll learn a bit about how it works..

This is not right one little bit for the AWD case found in our 5.0 trucks.

The AWD in our trucks uses a viscious fluid clutch that thickens when differences come about from any slip (between the plates, plate for front and one for rear..) . It's usually a 40/60 split, that or 30/70.. I can't remember... there is absolutely no electronic control with the actual AWD tcase.. It does adjust as I sorta mentioned before.. but I don't believe it achives a perfect 50/50 split like 4x4 rigs, it allows slip.. it's not actually locked. Sorry if I kind of butchered any of the statement above, I've had a little to drink.. haha..... just look up AWD and viscious clutch or something and it'll point you to the right direction plus you'll learn a bit about how it works..

Alright I will have to look into it. So it does even if just a small amount adjust when slipping? I just took it out last night and was surprised how much it was sliding around in the snow, thats why I was wondering.

I will "lock" only if there is a difference between FRONT and REAR axles speeds. It just needs some rotations to heat up the vascous coupling fluid in order to "lock" the front with rear.
You have another limited slip differential on rear (to limit rear left from rear right slipping), and just an open differential on front.

Sliding in snow is probably due to excessive speed, no AWD will do miracles when all the tires are loosing the grip.

Lol I wasn't speeding I was in a parking lot, but your right I could have avoided it I just wanted to see how far I could push it.

I wasn't critical, I did it too :D Just explained that, at the point where all the tires loose the grip, even the AWD is useless.
But... you get faster in that bad situation with a RWD.

Yea that is def true, I have a z06 that I had to drive in a surprise snow fall in NC and it was rough. I just hope my expo is better in the snow than my wifes mkx. She just bought it today and won't shut up about how much she hates my truck lol. Her mkx is on a car chassis do it does ride better, but I doubt it takes snow better.

First inflate the tires per the door sticker - 30psi. All identical.

Back