• Register Today It's free!

AWD to 2wd?

-Jack-

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mountaineer
My 97 Mounty 5.0 AWD transfer case chain is slipping (at least I think that is what is happening). Eventually I will swap the transfer case, but right now I need to use the truck to tow a 5,000 lb boat long distance. Can I disconnect the front axel and use it to tow a boat cross-country? Are there any repocusions I need to think about?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll bet you it is actually the front drive shaft making the noise-
I've even been bit by this. remove the front drive shaft and look very very closely at this area-
if the boot has even the slightest tear-there ya go.

Attachments

• Front drive shaft bad.jpg
    Front drive shaft bad.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 216

Can I disconnect the front axel and use it to tow a boat cross-country? Are there any repocusions I need to think about?
Dont disconnect the front driveshaft -- the vehicle will creep on Park if you do so.

If it were the front drive shaft or CV joint what would be the symptoms?

When I accelerate from a stop (doesnt happen every time and usually only happens when I stand on the accelerator, although sometimes it happens with a gentle acceleration) I hear and feel one or sometimes a few loud thuds. It is an awful sound and feels like the truck is coming apart underneath the drivers seat. I always assumed it was the transfer case chain slipping on the teeth.

When I accelerate from a stop (doesnt happen every time and usually only happens when I stand on the accelerator, although sometimes it happens with a gentle acceleration) I hear and feel one or sometimes a few loud thuds. It is an awful sound and feels like the truck is coming apart underneath the drivers seat. I always assumed it was the transfer case chain slipping on the teeth.

You have just described the symptom of a failing front drive shaft.

What if you get a loud "thud/click" even while the front D/S is removed (on my 4406)

Have you greased the rear Drive shaft slip yoke?
transmission mount? U joints?

It could be your driveshaft but that is exactly what mine was doing and it ended up being the transfer case.

Back