Does stock head unit have bass limiter?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does stock head unit have bass limiter??

kola

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a 1998 Explorer XLT. I am installing a stereo this week: MB Quart Q 6.5 and tweet in front doors, JL Audio Stealthbox, Rockford Fosgate PA2 preamp, Alpine 4x25 amp to run mid and highs, and a Memphis Audio 250 watt (4 ohms) mono-block pushing the sub.

I want either an mp3 jukebox or dvd-audio player. Problem is that the best mp3 jukebox out there, Nomadworld, has some design glitches, which can be expected from any first generation product, and the dvd-audio players are $$$ and there are only a few discs out there. So, I want to keep the factory in-dash cd player for 6-12 months until something shakes out with mp3 or dvd. The salesperson the stereo shop said the head unit may have a bass limiter, which when you increase the volume on the unit, the bass goes does down correspondly.

Is this true???

thanx

It's possibly true. When I crank my stereo up, it sounds like I start losing bass a little above halfway up the volume scale. This happened both before and after I got my subs, so I assume that it's the head unit. It's not that bad if you're in the truck, because you don't want to blow your ears out. When I'm listening to the truck stereo outside, I just put my cargo blanket over the subs to generate more bass. It's only slightly annoying sometimes, and I don't compete or anything like that, so I deal with it.

Factory Ford head units used in Explorers DO have bass limiting built in to reduce distortion at high volume levels.

Regards,
cobrajeff

Back