Dome Override Switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dome Override Switch

im sure this is really easy but how can i go about making a switch that will turn off all the interior lights (like when the door or hatch is open). my moms jimmy has this button and it comes in hand b/c i like to leave my doors and hatch open for extended amounts of time and i dont like having the lights on all the time. if i wire a switch between the drivers door jam (the little button that contolls the lights when the doors open) do you think that would work? any helps appreciated!

Sure, it will work... you just need to find where the single power wire is that goes from the doors to the light. You have a plug at the light that has 3 wires on it, 1 is a ground the other 2 are power. One wire powers the directional wires the other the center dome light. I don't know which post the wire runs down, so you will have to trace it and put your switch inline somewhere.
I recently replaced a light in my wife's Subaru with a dome light from an X. Took a lot of work but it looks and operates great.

I dont know if its the same with the early x's but my 2001 x all you have to do is move the dim switch for the lights all the way down till it clicks... and the lights wont come on when you open the doors... as far as putting a switch in it would not work cause you would have to do all 5 doors.. (4 doors and hatch) and thats more work then its worth:confused:

Hope i helped a little..

Mike:bounce:

Only 97+ X's have an off built into the dome switch. And yes, some members have done this. All the door actuated dome lights are in one circuit, so I think you only have to cut the power to one of them for all to go off. You just need to find the right wire. Try using the search feature and I'm sure you'll find a thread on it.

When I go camping and leave the hatch open, I either just wait 40 minutes for the lights to go off or I pull that fuse for the night.

Back