410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier" | Page 50 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier"

Allright finally!!
As you guys know the clean space paint area has been prepared and ready for the fenders for a whole. However the weather did not cooperate. Until yesterday! Finally above 50 outside and not 110% humidity

So the glass finally got some color!

The parts had been in primer for some time
Yesterday (my 51st b day) my friends came over and got the paint done

First up was heavy primer sealer
Then wetsand w 600
Then the urethane seal coat
Then adhesion promoter
Then pigment was
Laid down, and finally clear coat!

There is more to it than that… but these are the steps I caught throughout the day. The metallic blue looks amazing, the parts really came out. There was a ton of prep work with all the fiberglass that was done to hide the cracks and fill in the louvered sections

My dudes really know their stuff (75 years of paint experience between the two of them)

The final blue that was laid down is actually paint that was left with me 4+ years ago when the truck was delivered to the shop. This is paint left over from the trucks paint job, this worked out excellent as it should be damn close to a perfect match.

The parts will now be dried as the “solvent pops” and then we can do a “cut and buff” of the clear coat. Late this week they will make it back to the other shop and get mounted to the truck. Then the whole truck will be polished

Next step is to bring in the prepared bed and get some color on it. The underside of the bedsides and the backsides of all the
Glass will get sprayed with some decent spray on bedliner to help protect the fiberglass and hide the ugly metal

D9C1C8E4-83FB-4BCE-9979-4F561E1936D7.jpeg

Parts in primer patiently waiting for warm temps

F1B35E9F-D4E8-44B4-9AEF-13DC2A1056C4.jpeg

Paint space got a second coat of brite white and several led light

Parts in heavy sealer primer for final wet sand. You can see the plastic pull in, with the fan on venting the space there is plenty of suction pulling the fresh warm air through the filters

F9021379-C381-4AE9-A7F6-9DECE27BD830.jpeg

FE6FCB64-FD55-425C-A262-18A75189CCFF.jpeg

738CCFDB-9596-48CC-B231-1360FCFE3466.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was hoping to have it done my March 1 but it looks more like April 1 for target delivery date

First light grey coat is the heavy primer

The Black Stuff is the urethane sealer

You can see how much work was put into these panels to make them so flat and prepped for the color

9F61C33E-7514-4130-9ECC-C45305C33925.jpeg

3E6923CE-9AE8-46CB-B204-15E48A2EBC28.jpeg

C96EE14F-BB75-401D-ACA4-548A02710DD5.jpeg

4E5C132A-FA9F-4333-B6BE-4AD367CA1117.jpeg

68D987B1-1413-4B9F-9416-29F2CD470E2B.jpeg

43210B22-9C59-4C89-A357-B5F67821BFAD.jpeg

429D3AFD-C2CC-4AB8-81A6-68EEFB2F9B9E.jpeg

1F209876-AE16-47B0-B4FB-ADF2A1AED8F6.jpeg

F6EF58A3-EA04-4627-A6A8-CB93D09611FA.jpeg

AF05ED64-8FE6-4810-A306-61698014D029.jpeg

B094316C-556A-462B-BB75-C9ED1421E9DE.jpeg

86C33818-D186-47EC-8430-AD6BCA854710.jpeg

DF2BD958-10A0-496F-ADC2-5EA2F725D1D8.jpeg

8C0192D4-3FC1-403F-B02C-4F8A3CCF8725.jpeg

2E8F7B1E-0B07-4690-BF68-CF5D39985F32.jpeg

Look at that blue metallic!!
After they cure , possibly in the sunshine today…. Next is cut and buff to get any dirt and debris out of the clear coat. They will “solvent pop” for the next 2-3 days and he will be buffing them out

Wow this build is still going
its almost been 5 years
For some reason I thought that it was finished
I thought it was a 10 year build in post #944

Hay! That paint room looks great

They are never really “done” but at least we can get Eddiemoney his truck back! He is welcome to bring her back for any adjustments…I’ve already planned to head to Seattle for any repairs if needed as he breaks her in, or better yet he could do like the rest of the country and move up here to north Idaho!! Lol lol

They are never really “done” but at least we can get Eddiemoney his truck back! He is welcome to bring her back for any adjustments…I’ve already planned to head to Seattle for any repairs if needed as he breaks her in, or better yet he could do like the rest of the country and move up here to north Idaho!! Lol lol
Careful, too many people moving into the area too fast can kill why you moved there. I've thought about it, I really like Idaho but I don't like snow. I work in it all winter, I don't want to live in it when not working.

That ship has sailed sandpoint is at capacity and the market is crazy here people waiting 5+ years for a contractor to
Build their home. We arrived here just before the big push

Wow this build is still going
its almost been 5 years
For some reason I thought that it was finished
It might have been finished a long time ago if he didn't take so much of his time to help so many of us on the forum, myself included. Thank you, Sir!

I'm usually more patient than most, but Eddie has me beat by miles!

That ship has sailed sandpoint is at capacity and the market is crazy here people waiting 5+ years for a contractor to
I wouldn't wait that long for a house to be built. I get why people move to places like that, quiet and cheaper than where they currently live. Things keep getting more expensive everyday, I've looked at cheaper countries to live in. I could sell my house and retire tomorrow in the Philippines on $1,000 a month which could cover all living expenses with health insurance included. Even have a live in maid.

Coming around nicely. Nice work on the paint. :bow::salute:

Still no like button on threads though.:rant:

My brother lived at the base of Schweitzer Mountain for a few years, Sandpoint was a cool town to visit, and pricey nearly 20 years ago - - can’t imagine the prices now…

Awesome work as always - - you can rush paint, you just can’t rush good paint.

Thanks for the update.

My post wasn't meant to criticize or offend anyone, and I'm sorry if anyone took it that way. There are many reasons projects like this take a long time. This one has been more complicated than most with all the fabricated parts, trial and error fittings, custom wiring, waiting on hard-to-get parts, and more - besides everything else 410 has to do. For the most part, this has not been priority #1. My intent was to recognize that despite being a very busy guy, Jamie takes a lot of time to help the rest of us out. I obviously didn't say it well.

He and Eddie obviously have a very good relationship. Regarding my comment about Eddie's patience - watching the progress on my truck would stoke the anticipation to see and drive the finished truck so high that I'd have to force myself to think of something - anything - else.

Cut and polish of the clear coat on one bedside complete
Other side half way done

Parts spent time in the sun!
The metal bed is coming into paint shop next

AC649D86-38AD-4663-932F-261E9DB14BE6.jpeg

F861F3FB-7BFA-4D29-9327-FF27123017FD.jpeg

369CB5D7-A4F4-4B31-9AF4-068841EDD985.jpeg

58D90D4C-DAF2-433B-8847-D22D7A345051.jpeg

13EC3F77-1427-450D-8F86-D7C2D3047CB1.jpeg

They are not absolutely perfect but they are waaaaay better then I could do

The clear coat is being cut by hand with a variety of sandpaper all the way to 3000 grit and polished thereafter
This removes any dirt or debris from the clear coat
Now that the parts are painted you can really smell the fiberglass still curing underneath
The paint contains a ton of “flexiblizer” to
Work well on the glass panels
The paint spent some time in the hot sun today to help cure and “solvent pop”
As he puts it

They look so nice outside! I cannot wait to see the completed truck with all panels and on sitting outside

@410Fortune This has been one of the best-documented and most interesting project threads on this forum, and we're honored to have you share it with us!

51 years... happy (late) birth day! I'm on the better half of that myself now, and I hope when I'm your age, I'm 1/10 as awesome as you are.

I'm sure EddieMoney will be more than happy to get his toy back, and go out and play with her!

I wouldn't wait that long for a house to be built. I get why people move to places like that, quiet and cheaper than where they currently live. Things keep getting more expensive everyday, I've looked at cheaper countries to live in. I could sell my house and retire tomorrow in the Philippines on $1,000 a month which could cover all living expenses with health insurance included. Even have a live in maid.

My brother lived at the base of Schweitzer Mountain for a few years, Sandpoint was a cool town to visit, and pricey nearly 20 years ago - - can’t imagine the prices now…

Awesome work as always - - you can rush paint, you just can’t rush good paint.

Thanks for the update.

My post wasn't meant to criticize or offend anyone, and I'm sorry if anyone took it that way. There are many reasons projects like this take a long time. This one has been more complicated than most with all the fabricated parts, trial and error fittings, custom wiring, waiting on hard-to-get parts, and more - besides everything else 410 has to do. For the most part, this has not been priority #1. My intent was to recognize that despite being a very busy guy, Jamie takes a lot of time to help the rest of us out. I obviously didn't say it well.

He and Eddie obviously have a very good relationship. Regarding my comment about Eddie's patience - watching the progress on my truck would stoke the anticipation to see and drive the finished truck so high that I'd have to force myself to think of something - anything - else.

@410Fortune This has been one of the best-documented and most interesting project threads on this forum, and we're honored to have you share it with us!

51 years... happy (late) birth day! I'm on the better half of that myself now, and I hope when I'm your age, I'm 1/10 as awesome as you are.

I'm sure EddieMoney will be more than happy to get his toy back, and go out and play with her!

You guys are absolutely awesome!!
I’m so looking forward to completing another build. This ranger is one of my masterpieces a culmination of all I have learned and enjoy

This build is up there with my snowmobile, my bronco, my wife’s FJ cruiser, my f350, and a couple of the other trucks I have built over the years for friends. It truly is a “forever truck” completely customized bumper to bumper not just a showpiece for bolt on aftermarket gear, but a complete custom vehicle….and the best part about it is the people it brings together!!!

Cut and buff of all panels is complete! The metal bed is now in the paint area to get some blue
I cannot believe how well the paint turned out!!

My attention has been turned to finishing up the twin tail pipes for the exhaust

I’ll get some pictures of the progress!!!

238E0C03-92E7-4DE6-9475-82F95633796D.jpeg

378D4058-3837-44F2-9F31-DF6EE5C1B5E7.jpeg

1EC0ACE8-ED50-4ED7-9791-C6512422FB1D.jpeg

That looks PURDY. Nice work.

View attachment 450696

Dammit ! ! ! !

Or, at your convenience, any updates would be greatly appreciated. . .
More moar. . . . got to be something good going on. . .

I'm fine with the tantric quality of the build, but looking forward to the happy ending. . .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hahahaha looks like somebody edited their post, something I do often!

So I am very sorry for all of the delays but progress is happened and happening behind the scenes. I have had the flu/Covid/sniffles/body aches fever for a week and it sucked. Feeling way better now and heading to work on “blue” right after coffee today, Friday 04/04/24

Truck is running and driving, bed has been painted ( blue where it needed)
The truck will be DRIVEN from my home shop to the bottom of our road (2 miles of off road testing)! Loaded on trailer and re located to the city/paint/detail shop (15 miles )
The fiberglass and bed will be final installed and fitted.

Happening this weekend!!

You were right something “big” is happening

Oh and i had to look up the word “tantric”
gross that you used it in a sentence
But fits the situation
Climax is coming (no pun)

I have a ton of small things to finish and lots of testing to do… patience is key here!

Back