Done search! Front Diff Fluid Change-'04! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Done search! Front Diff Fluid Change-'04!

360cid

Reaction score
City, State
Snohomish Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
Not happy with results! All posts I have come across have said use some kind of hand pump to suck out old fluid! All of the pumps suggested have failed except to make my forearms like Popeyes! My X is a '04 XLT with the 4.0 sohc, 3.73s, with the 55r5s and am looking to do a full Redline upgrade, front and rear diff are next. The rear 8.8 diff has a drain and fill, do I need to pull the front cover and how? Have air tools and such, but is there a better way? :fart:

i don't think there would be a better way, just loosen all the bolts up and pry it off and then replace the gasket

lost an entire 3 paragraphs to internet rest. rggg..

drop the cover then use the suction pump to get the last of the fluid in the bottom of the case.

8.8 does not have a gasket per-se in the normal graphite or paper type design. RTV is used to seal the cover.

I took 1 bolt out of the front cover, went to my local hardware/tractor supply, found some 2" long studs the same size to use as alignment pins.

Ran my RTV on the case, let it skin, about 5 minutes, then slid the cover over the studs.

I use my drill/screw gun set on the lowest torque setting. don't use an air rachet or impact as it will squish the RTV bead &/or tweak the cover.

Fill from the front fill hole, until you can just feel fluid below your pinkie. About 1.5 quarts, according to the owner's manual.

Rob

Back