Don't try this at home.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Don't try this at home....

I cant stand the thought of spending $50. to just get rid of that little amber piece in the corner lights.
I read a post about a guy who heated up some GM lights to break the seal. He put them in a 200 degree oven and was able to seperate the lense from the body to clean the reflector.
Why cant I do that???
I got a light from ebay cheap and put it in the oven to bake at 200 for 10 min.
Couldnt budge the stupid thing. Just would not come apart. Turned it up to 275. Put the light back in for 10 min. You got it...the stupid thing started to melt and became deformed and I still could not get it apart.
That little amber piece in the lights doesnt look so bad anymore. I think I kinda like it now.
Just thought you all would like to know....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Bill Kemp
I got a light from ebay cheap and put it in the oven to bake at 200 for 10 min.
Couldnt budge the stupid thing. Just would not come apart. Turned it up to 275. Put the light back in for 10 min. You got it...the stupid thing started to melt and became deformed and I still could not get it apart.

Be sure to add garlic when cooken lenses, my friend. :)

Should have used some meat tenderizer!!!

not trying to make a joke, but boiling probably would have worked better than the oven. you could also use a hot knife to cut it apart then epoxy it back together.

maybe steaming @ the sealed spots. I dunno, but it might work.. because then your localizing the heat and moisture on the seal only.. it probably wouldve been easier to pop off that way.

I don't know if it will work on the side lights, but when one of my head lights got water in it and molded after trying to clean it I used a dremel tool cut the lens off cleaned it and use silicone to seal it up. No leaks after six months and looks just as good as the other headlight. It saved me $100.00.

Back