• Register Today It's free!

Door ajar problem

Jobert

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT V8
The door ajar light came on awhile ago and now has stayed lit all the time.

It's a 2002 V8 Explorer XLS.

I note that the owners manual says:

Key-in-ignition warning chime
Sounds when the key is left in the ignition and the driver’s door is opened.

It probably should also say that it chimes when the driver's door is open and the key is inserted, tho' I suppose that's implied by what it does say.

So my question is this: For anyone who's door ajar light isn't lit, could you open any other door (and close the driver's door) and insert the key with that other door still open and see if the chime sounds when you insert the key?

Of if anyone knows whether it's just the driver's door (as the manual says), you can chime in too.

No pun intended.

If it's only the driver's door that chimes when the key is inserted, that pretty much tells me that it's my driver's door that's lighting the door ajar idiot light.

Which is what is to be expected; that is, the driver's door is the prime suspect.

Because ever since the door ajar light has stayed lit, I get the chime every time I insert the key, regardless of whether or not the driver's door is closed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

See the last link in post #1.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417491

Try this, for some reason the pasted link was messed up.

The drivers door IS a known issue, so I'd start there.

Sorry, didn't see your edit before I replied to ROBinGA. See my reply to him just a bit ago.

I know it's likely the driver's door that's the problem, but I'd still like to know the answer to my original question. Seems like a simple thing for someone to do and would only take a minute or so to confirm that the chime only sounds when the driver's door is open and the key is inserted.

Or not.

WD40 is your friend here.

With the key in, the only door that chimes is the drivers door.

With the key in, the only door that chimes is the drivers door.

Okay. Thanks much for the confirmation.

That does seem to be what the owners manual is saying, but ya never know for sure with those things.

WD40 is your friend here.

Ya, I've seen the YouTube video.

But I suspect that my problem may be a broken wire, which makes the job a lot more complicated.

But I suspect that my problem may be a broken wire, which makes the job a lot more complicated.
The WD40 didn't work for me, not even a whole can. As you mention, this can also be a broken wire in the door boot. These are some links from a post by BigRondo on fixing door boot wire issues. (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3288892&postcount=5)

Thread for removing the door panel
Thread for checking for broken/damaged wires (thanks to synyster)

The door sensor can also be broken, so here is a thread on replacing that.
Door AJAR Switch Replacement on 2002XLT

I would check the door boot first since I don't think there is any other way to rule out the switch other than checking all of the boot wires. These are prone to issues, so you will likely end up checking the boot at some point anyway.

LMHmedchem

The WD40 didn't work for me, not even a whole can. As you mention, this can also be a broken wire in the door boot. These are some links from a post by BigRondo on fixing door boot wire issues. (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3288892&postcount=5)

Thread for removing the door panel
Thread for checking for broken/damaged wires (thanks to synyster)

The door sensor can also be broken, so here is a thread on replacing that.
Door AJAR Switch Replacement on 2002XLT

I would check the door boot first since I don't think there is any other way to rule out the switch other than checking all of the boot wires. These are prone to issues, so you will likely end up checking the boot at some point anyway.

LMHmedchem

Thanks for the tips and links. Much appreciated.

Back