• Register Today It's free!

Door ajar

Sherwoodpstarbird

Reaction score
City, State
West Columbia, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
i have a 2003 Explorer XLT and the door ajar light is constantly on. I've read the other threads on this issue but I was wondering if anyone has had the alarm randomly go off after the vehicle is parked. I've had it twice in a month and it doesn't look like some has tried to break in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a bad ground wire in the door, it's possible that it is intermittently making and breaking contact. This would cause the alarm to go off.

Yes I read that thread. I'm going to do the WD-40 test on the all 6 latches. Has anyone encountered the vehicles alarm randomly going off for no reason?
My 2002 XLT starting alarming at 2-3 am about 1 month ago. After the third night of this, I leave the car unlocked.
My door locks are nuts. The door ajar light on the dash usually goes out but as I am driving, the door locks will lock and unlock, inside light comes on, then off.
I took the driver side door panel off yesterday. Tonight I will test the wiring with a paper clip, then look at the harness across the hinge. WD40 didn't do anything for mine.
Really good you tube on the internet for removing the door panel and troubleshooting.
Good luck

Mine was just a sticking switch. I took the whole latch assembly out of the door and sprayed brake parts cleaner on the switch since it was fairly dirty, and then sprayed heavy duty lube on it. 5 minutes of opening and closing the door and locking with the clicker and my problem has gone away.

Back