door ajar? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

door ajar?

sjtbaker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '03 Eddie Bauer
I have an 03 Explorer and about two weeks ago the door ajar light started coming on and the dome light and mirror lights won't go off. I can hit the reset and the message goes away and the dome light usually goes off but it takes a long time. On two occasions since the door ajar light has been coming on the car alarm has went off with no one even near. I assume there is a sensor telling the computer that someone is breaking it since it thinks the door has become "ajar". I just spent a bunch of money on the rear end and it just seems there is always something going on with this vehicle. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

spray all the latches on the doors with wd 40 or some kind of penetrating lube...open and close them with a little force to make sure they shut tight...and that should take care of it

i had the same problem on my 03. the dealer told me to spray WD 40 into the door latch on all the doors and that fixed it in 5 min.

Yep, very common problem, but generally very easily fixed. I used spray brake cleaner instead of WD-40. The spray should be liberally applied to/through the door latches that are attached to the rear side of the door jambs. Did I mention liberally?;)

you may want to check the rear glass to make sure that it is securely latched as well. sometimes i will accidentally unlatch it by bumping the button on my keyless entry. it registers as an open door.

I was having this problem too. WD-40 has seemed to fix it.

I had the problem too. Door jam button was bad. $20 later it was good...

i have this problem, my drivers side rear door is stuck shut

you may want to check the rear glass to make sure that it is securely latched as well. sometimes i will accidentally unlatch it by bumping the button on my keyless entry. it registers as an open door.

Had this happen to me more than once. Have to check it whenever I see the door ajar light come on. It's usually the problem, thankfully.

Very fortuitous thread for me I hope.

Just this week the interior lights are acting wacky on my 2002 Explorer.

When I shut the driver’s door the driver’s side puddle lamp goes out, but the interior lights and passenger side puddle lamp stays on. I can open and close the passenger door but the lights just stay on.

No "Door Ajar" light. Plus I get two chirps when I set the alarm.

They time out after 10 minutes or so.

Right now I just have the master switch turned to off until I figure this one out.

Sooo, the fix might be the same …spraying lube into the door latches where the door latches to the door column post?

Thanks!

Oldwolf - I had almost the exact symptoms you have except my "Door Adjar" light would initially stay on. I could drive ~15 feet or so and everything starts working normally. Took the drivers door apart and the larger of the two black wires was hanging by a strand. Soldered and heat shrinked in a small extension wire and solved the problem. Ford shoud be shot for this issue I constantly see here.
Here is a thread that will walk you through it.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270081

Tmac11 -

Simply AMAZING and just reinforces why forums like these are so successful and valuable.

I slid the wire bellows back and found my black wire was broken in two. Some solder and new wire plus some heat shrink and everything works just like it should.:thumbsup:

Additionally...my passenger side view mirror would only work side to side not up and down. I just figured it was broken and was planning to buy a new one. BUT, I saw a little broken purple wire in the bundle next to my broken black wire. Fixed that and now my side view mirror works too!:D;)

Does Ford have a replacement wiring bundle of better design available?

Back