Door Handle Easy and reversible Mod | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door Handle Easy and reversible Mod

mhikeboy

Reaction score
City, State
Dubai
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Hello,

I have seen in a couple of threads regarding people with XLT's and Limited's wanting to have a black door handle and even wanting to swap with base model door handle owners.

I am one of those people but would not really want my ride to look like a base model. I came up with this idea of just installing vinyl stickers on the door facia only and keeping the chrome on the sides.

Before :
20121006_131811_zps62a86965.jpg

After:
20121006_164212_zps270cc1cb.jpg

20121006_164150_zps28a68e94.jpg

To make it shiny and look like its been painted on my door handle, I sprayed krylon clear gloss acrylic paint on the vinyl, had it dry properly, then cut it and sticked it on my door handles. If you want a matte look, you can skip the painting steps. (maybe you can even paint it with your body color paint)

I made a template in pdf but not sure how to post it here.

The best thing with this mod is that it is totally reversible to stock by simply peeling off the vinyl!

Let me know what you think :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nicely done, I would be interested in the PDF file for this.

You did a nice wrap on that handle, well done.

Almost looks painted to me.

I wanted to do my Chrome EXPLORER Appliqué on the back hatch, so this is a great way to do it and still have the ability to return it to stock.

Plasti Dip!! and when you get bored you can just peel it off

Man this is soo funny. Me & a guy at the dealership were discussing this yesterday when we picked our sport up.

Great minds think alike.

I always liked how the previous gen Infiniti M had the matching paint color accent in the handle. I thought it was a nice accent to the usual boring chrome handle and gave the car a more premium look:

4965_st0640_045.jpg

Does Home Depot ship to Dubai? :D

Looks like they do!

Home Depot Import Export Services FAQ

True, Home Depot exports, but air shipping the plastidip can sprays are illegal for its flammable and hazardous content. We do have ACE hardware here, but the plastidip they have are not the spray cans but in liters where you need a spray gun.

In my case, the Vinyl is the best thing to do and maybe to others too who does not have access to plastidip. Thanks for the info though :)

Plasti-Dip

Was it difficult to paint the grille with Plasti-Dip?

Looks Great! like the wheels as well! awesome! and lastly the pinstripes accent looks good, could you take a closer shot of it.

oh! here's my black grille (painted though, since i dont have access to plastidip)

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg590/mhikeboy/20120923_121837_zps30610f70.jpg

Love it!!! Hey i have a spare new OEM EXPLORER LETTERING if you want it i can sell it to you how much i bought it and i can ship international just message me...

I already changed and painted all black and changed the pin stipes to black also hahahaha here is a pic...i also added angel eyes halos...:)

Attachments

• DSC_6644.jpg
    DSC_6644.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 3,066
  • DSC_6625.jpg
    DSC_6625.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,953
  • DSC_6553.jpg
    DSC_6553.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 5,300
  • DSC_6589.jpg
    DSC_6589.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 2,039

yup....all black grill and black pinstripes much nicer IMHO

Love it!!! Hey i have a spare new OEM EXPLORER LETTERING if you want it i can sell it to you how much i bought it and i can ship international just message me...

I already changed and painted all black and changed the pin stipes to black also hahahaha here is a pic...i also added angel eyes halos...:)

2 thumbs up! really great ride! If you still have the OEM letters, PM me the price. Thanks!

BTW: would really be great if you could post (with pics) a step by step guide for the halo eyes! Cheers!

When you did your door handles did you take them off or just mask them? How did you work around the bump thing on the drivers side door?

I ordered a Sport in the same color as your rig and I really like some of your mods and plan to do similar to mine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im doing the black sticker on the hood! looks awesome!

Back