• Register Today It's free!

door hinge question

Techmonster

Reaction score
City, State
St. Cloud, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
anyone ever done these on the first gens. I have a driver side one that needs repair and a body shop quoted me $500 for them because the upper one you have to take apart the whole dash. Is this true or is there a way of doing th upper one without taking apart the whole dash.

I may try and do this myself depending on input here...

Thanks
Bryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The lower one isn't bad, the upper one is a b*tch. I replaced the lower hinge and then the upper PIN only. Leaving the hinges alone. Seems to be ok. But yes the upper replacement appears to me to require more than being ambidextrous under the dash. The pin replcement meant cutting the upper pin in half and replacing it with an aftermarket kit for about $10. HTH.

Happy Exploring

Chris

Yes, the dashboard is in the way of the upper hinge, but you can easily unbolt the dash and just pull it forward enough to gain access to the hinge nut. It is a pain, but it is doable.

Yeah, I did a hinge swap on a first gen a few months ago. Let me tell you I said many cuss words on that project !!!!!!!!

I was able to do the task with out removing the dash ( for the most part.
I did remove the knee bolster. I did much of it by sense of feel. If I recall I removed either the fuse box door or the trim along the door opening pinch weld to get an eyeball on what I was doing.
A swivel and a good deal of patients it can be done.

thanks for the inout everyone!!!;)

I did mine with just an electric drill

Drill out the folded over section of the rivet and drive it out. Just used the HELP bubble pack parts at Autozone. Did it alone with the help of a 5 gal plastic bucket and some pieces of wood. Would be easier with two people. I cut the pins to the right length, drilled and tapped the end, and bolted it in for a snug fit. I see the parts now come with two grooves and a snap ring. That makes it easier.

if you are having the shop replace them, and they want to charge you for the hinges, i have top and bottom, driver and passenger hinges for you, free of charge. Let me know. When i did mine i realized how hard it was to do and i decided to make pins and busings myself. So let me know what you are doing.

Wedgie thanks for the offer, but i have the hinges already. I am having a guy from work help me. He works out of his home as a body dude guy and he says he should be able to give me a hand with these. i may just replace the bottom hindge becasue the top one is not that bad. I do that, close the door and see how much it helps.

We're doing it this weekend

a body dude guy hunh ?

Wedgie, still have those hinges?

Hi, I'm Tony. I just bought a'91 Explorer. VERY CHEAP.

I got it as an interm car while I rebuild my wifes '85 Chevy Stepside Pickup. Anyway. The drivers door is a horor. As I talk top people and read I find out that Explorers are notorious for the hinge issue. I may take a stab at replacing them.

I replaced my bottom hinge assembly a few weeks ago. An easy task, but a universal joint attachment for your ratchet is a must. (or a snake thing, but universal can take the torque) There is still a little slack if you pull up on the door, but I don't care. I was able to adjust the bottom so that it matches up perfectly. It opens and closes a lot better.

Sent you PM Tony H!

Back