Door trim misalignment with the dash | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door trim misalignment with the dash

I had my expkorer at the dealer to fix this and liftgate alignment but after messing up the liftgate i asked them not to touch the dashbord. It seems there no clear instruction from ford on how to fix it so until then i am leaving it as is. But i think it is good to let your dealer know about it so at least for recognize this as an issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did the "fix" cause any unintended consequences........like any rattles?

It looks ok to me.

Zero problems and love the vehicle. It'll be one year old feb 7th.

Has anyone gotten the door fixed other then person on here?
Zack,

Natasha told me you mentioned the concern on Facebook. I’d like to offer my help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. So I can do that, please send a PM with your contact information, VIN, mileage, and dealer name/state.

I had my expkorer at the dealer to fix this and liftgate alignment but after messing up the liftgate i asked them not to touch the dashbord. It seems there no clear instruction from ford on how to fix it so until then i am leaving it as is. But i think it is good to let your dealer know about it so at least for recognize this as an issue.
CDNexp,

You have the option to go to another dealer if you’d like. Have you tried calling the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center @ 1-800-565-3673 for further assistance?

Did the "fix" cause any unintended consequences........like any rattles?
Zero problems and love the vehicle. It'll be one year old feb 7th.
That’s great, Blueflame16! Any plans for the “birth”day? ;)

Cory

Same here, would like to fix it.

HDJulie & nyxltsol,

I’m available to help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. So I can do that, please send a PM with your VIN, mileage, contact info, and dealer name/state.
I'll PM you my info but will wait until March when I am supposed to go in for my first oil change. I just will not have time to drop off the car at the dealership before then.

Same here, would like to fix it.
Did you have a chance to take pictures Spengracin?

I'll PM you my info but will wait until March when I am supposed to go in for my first oil change. I just will not have time to drop off the car at the dealership before then.
That sounds good to me, Julie; I know a thing or two about busy schedules. :)

Cory

Cory, totally slipped the mind, been working 4 weeks straight, 7 days a week. I'll try to take some and post

I took delivery of my X Limited Monday night. Monday morning I called and told the salesman of the dash alignment issue, emailed him the steps taken by the previous formum member who was able to get the issue fixed and and asked if mine could be resolved by that night when I picked it up. When I showed up it wasn't fixed and the saleman said he didn't see anything wrong with it. Even when I pointed it out, he claimed "It's the same on the other side", even though I showed him it wasn't. I might take photos and post here. but I think I'll first take the X into the service department, show them, and tell them what the fix is to see if they are more willing to help. I'm guessing they will be.

Cory, I know you are willing to help, but I'll try my luck with the service department first, since I'm sure the saleman was more concerned about the numbers.

...Cory, I know you are willing to help, but I'll try my luck with the service department first, since I'm sure the saleman was more concerned about the numbers.
That sounds good, deewan. I’m confident your dealer’s service department will take care of this for you. :)

Cory

Thought I would share the pictures I took to use as proof to the Service Department of the dash alignment issue.

Passenger Side:

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

Driver Side:
IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

Still kind of funny the salesman said he saw no difference. But from what I have heard about this service department, they will be VERY helpful getting this issue resolved.

I have that height difference on both sides as well but yet everything such as the bottom of the dash and the imitation wood trim below seems to line up between the door and dash.

Peter

Attachments

• PA280236a.jpg
    PA280236a.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 793
  • PA280237a.jpg
    PA280237a.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 788

Same issue here, passenger side only. Going to take it in to the dealer tomorrow and have them look at it. Nice that it seems the issue has been found. Hopefully ford will document the fix so others won't have to go through the same hassle.

I have that height difference on both sides as well but yet everything such as the bottom of the dash and the imitation wood trim below seems to line up between the door and dash.

Peter

Ditto

I have the same issue and waiting for ford to come up with an official solution. I don't want my dealer to experiment with mine (they already messed the liftgate).

I have the same door panel problem on one side and a noticeable gap between the pillar and the front dash on the driver's side (pillar is flush with front dash on passenger side and .5" gap on driver's side). When I picked it up, I heard the same story (this is how they all are and there is no fix). None of the pics here show a panel gap so now I am a little unhappy about this.

At the time, I worried that trying to force the dealer to pull the panels off and try and fix it might introduce more issues (rattles) so let it go. Sadly (and showing some lingering bias), I also assumed that these kinds of fit and finish issues were something you just had to live with for American cars (just like you had to deal with electrical issues with old British cars/ showing my age and too much experience pushing old Jags and Triumphs when I was younger).

It has always bothered me but not as much as my MFT problems. Since there are no rattles and the Ex otherwise runs fine, I can live with it. If there is an official fix for this, I am in as I see the gap everytime I get in the car and go somewhere. If they fix MFT with the next update (fingers crossed) and have a fix for the panel gap/ misalignment issue, I will be a completely happy owner.

I assumed that these kinds of fit and finish issues were something you just had to live with for American cars

This isn't just an American car issue. Many imports have had, and will in the future have these same issues.

I have the same issue and waiting for ford to come up with an official solution. I don't want my dealer to experiment with mine (they already messed the liftgate).

I will probably wait for an official solution, too. It's frustrating to see the unevenness every day (unlike the rear lift gate).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter

Same here. Mine has the mis-alignment at the top but lines up perfect everywhere else. Just picked mine up Monday night

Back