dorman intake manifold question...gaskets needed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dorman intake manifold question...gaskets needed?

BaggedSplash

Reaction score
City, State
Madison Heights, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Ranger Splash
i have a 2003 Explorer with the 4.6L and it looks like im going to replace the intake manifold on it. im gonna replace it with a dorman one and am wondering what gaskets i need to purchase along with it. i searched on here and couldnt find alot of answers. thanks for any and all help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you will not need gasket for the intake manifold as the Dorman intake comes with gaskets preinstalled on there.

is there any gaskets im going to need for any other parts that attaches to it since the dorman one comes with the manifold gasket?

No, you don't need anything else. Make sure you clean everything up really well on the top side of the engine where the old manifold was before installing the new one and you should be good to go.

the good thing about dorman intake manifold is that it has both the gasket for the head and plenum as well as the o-rings and bolts for the thermostat assembly.

don't forget to buy new o-rings for the injectors.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

If I may add onto this as I feel another post on the same matter is not needed.

It seems the one to use is 615-175, But the website says this will not fit my explorer.

2005 Limited V8 139000 miles, We just picked it up 2 weeks ago and last night got codes P0306 & P0316.

My spark plug tubes, holes for cylinder 4,6,8, were full of antifreeze, So I think I want to replace my coil on plug I think is what it is called. Are there any particular brands that are of acceptable quality to replace it with? I was planning on going ahead and replacing them all, with new spark plugs as well. How do I find out how many valves the coil on plug manufactures are referring to when shopping for them.

Thanks

If you have the 4.6L V8 the 615-175 should fit just fine.

I'm not sure I understand your question about the number of valves, but you will have one COP per cylinder if that helps you out.

I'd highly recommend that you change the intake prior to replacing COPs, though. If you replace the COPs and then the intake continues to leak antifreeze into the spark plug holes then the new COPs are going to be exposed to the same problem that fried the original COPs. Along those lines, I don't see any need to replace all 8 of them if they are not all giving you problems.

As for the replacement of the intake, check out this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361187

If you have the 4.6L V8 the 615-175 should fit just fine.

I'm not sure I understand your question about the number of valves, but you will have one COP per cylinder if that helps you out.

I'd highly recommend that you change the intake prior to replacing COPs, though. If you replace the COPs and then the intake continues to leak antifreeze into the spark plug holes then the new COPs are going to be exposed to the same problem that fried the original COPs. Along those lines, I don't see any need to replace all 8 of them if they are not all giving you problems.

As for the replacement of the intake, check out this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361187

Thanks, I have seen and bookmarked that thread , I will be replacing the intake manifold as well, Im just looking to make sure before i order it. I think the valve they are refering to has to do with the motor, . Thanks again this site has been extremely helpful so far.
Upon rechecking the valve question has no bearing as to what I'm doing, I guess my search criteria was not correct for the site I was on.
Is just replacing the boot an option or the whole cop for the affected cylinders that were sitting in antifreeze?

Oh I understand your question now. I don't know that I used that info and simply went by 4.6L V8 when buying COPs but that engine should be a SOHC (single overhead cam).

Oh I understand your question now. I don't know that I used that info and simply went by 4.6L V8 when buying COPs but that engine should be a SOHC (single overhead cam).

OK, thanks, I updated my last post as my search was wrong.
Are there any good sites to look up ur own parts, seems all the ford parts sites i have seen do not give you the whole part number.

I'm a big fan of rockauto.com. The big stores like O'Reilly, Advance, NAPA, etc. also have pretty good lookup tools. Just go with 4.6L SOHC V8 and you should easily find what you need.

I'm a big fan of rockauto.com. The big stores like O'Reilly, Advance, NAPA, etc. also have pretty good lookup tools. Just go with 4.6L SOHC V8 and you should easily find what you need.

Thanks didn't think of Rockauto, Might have lucked out tho and the dealer will be fixing the intake, rear axle seal and tire sensors.....WOO HOO....:chug:

Did the dorman 615-175 work?; I need to replace mine but dorman states that part is if u have no pcv heat. I believe mine has the pcv heat as i have hoses off the crossover pipe. 2002 4.6.

Back