• Register Today It's free!

double 4x4 troubles

alohamonte

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4.0 4x4
Two issues I just noticed (bought this car used less than a month ago).

1. The dash lights up 4High when the switch is on both 4High and 4Low. When I have it switched to 4Low I cannt see/feel any difference in the RPMs when I'm driving so I'm certain its staying in 4High. The 4Low light works, because when I start the car, all the dash lights including this one, flicker on for a few seconds.

2. in 4High, at full lock in either direction something is rubbing/seizing. From a stop, I put the wheel in full lock, on 4High, and gave it a little gas. I didnt move. I switch is back to 4Auto, move no problem. From a stop, I put the wheel straight, on 4High, and gave it a little gas and moved straight no problem. So I'm only getting an issue at full lock.

Anyone experience either of these issues? My 4x4 is jacked up!

Note: stock tires are on for the winter (29")

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. How are you engaging 4x4 low? First you have to be in 4x4 high, then the proper way is to come to a stop, depress and hold the brake down, put the car in neutral, then flip over to 4x4 low. If those steps aren't taken, it won't go into Low. Getting it out of low is the same process.

2. That's normal. With the truck in 4wd (Not auto) if you try to turn on dry pavement, the truck will resist and bind up because the inner wheels are turning slower than the outer wheels, and since they are locked together, it binds up.

Sounds like your truck might be fine to me.

Many thanks for the help. I'm happy nothing is broken... I feel like an complete ass tho!

ha, thats ok, when I first drove an automatic 4X4 I didn't know either because I was always used to a manual truck with 4X4

Back