• Register Today It's free!

DOUBLE CHECK YOUR WORK

trashtruck

Reaction score
City, State
capital district, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer xlt 4x4
recently I go the ambition to replace some dash bulbs that had burned out awhile back so I take it all apart, replace the bulbs, check to see if they are working, (they are) put everything together and on the final system check the gas gauge pegs out over full. Damn it! every thing comes back apart to find the black connector came loose. put every thing back together (again) and now everything is as it should be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That was one of my first tasks when I got my Explorer. I wound up disassembling the cluster and cleaning all the contact points, circuit film and gauges both. If you need to clean gauge faces make a paste of Cream of Tarter powder. Works great and leaves no residue.

I will suggest that you inventory all the bulbs needed in the cluster and on the body before purchase. I kept buying the 2 packs at Autozone as I needed them and I should have bought in Bulk! Would have saved over 50%. :(

Any thought to replacing those bulbs with LED's? My concern would be reliability -- since I always dread digging into the dash.

Get quality name brand ones that are ceramic. I bought some cheap ceramic ones on eBay and while they work, a couple of the individual LED elements flicker. They're still illuminated since each bulb has 5 LED elements but it can be annoying. I really do like the improved look and lighting though with white LEDs.

I have LED's in my Golf R, but some of them are already flickering...that concerns me, as our dash lights aren't very accessible.

Back