Down the Baja in my '96 explorer 4x4 with bad noises in the transfer case | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Down the Baja in my '96 explorer 4x4 with bad noises in the transfer case

reeseanddieter

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 xlt
Great site, I am happy to have found you guys. I got onto one of the few paved roads down here in Southern Baja last night and with the quiet of the smooth pavement heard a nasty noise coming from my xfer case. It sounds like there are a bunch of marbles circulating around in there with occasional binding/popping sounds.

I have the vehicle up on blocks and have observed that the front wheels do not turn when in Drive and 4h or 4L. At idle in Park and in 4H, the front drive shaft is engaged with the front wheels but turns freely at the xfer case. At idle in 2wd, it is free on both ends. The noise occurs in all three settings, 2wd, 4H and 4L, and at all speeds.

The fluid is muddy and smoky smelling, but chunk free.

I would be very thankful for ideas and really greatful if anyone knows of a good rebuilder in La Paz, of Los Cabos(fat chance, I know). If anyone wants to haul one down here in the next week there could be a free place to stay and a fishing trip waiting for you. I hear the tuna are in off cabo Pulmo...
Thanks!
Dieter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like you might need a new t-case chain.

I do not claim expertise, but at least have disassembled one and seen how it works in addition to seeing the parts. Your noises could be particles getting involvled in the chains and gears or in the shift collar gear and the main output gear. The fact you have no chunks of metal when you drain fluid *may* be a good sign. I am betting you have the common shift collar shift fork problem though... see the Diary on the 4405

That is not good news in any event, But so long as you stay in 2WD HI I am betting you can coax some miles out of it.

Read my first line before you take too much comfort in my advice.

ps. IF I had a rebuilt 4405 core not committed and IF I had the time... My ladyfriend and I would happily take you up on your offer.

Thanks for the input, Glacier.

I am thinking of buying a rebuilt from transfercases.com, I have a friend coming down in a week.

They want 695ex or 795outright

I am a little worried that this car is not up to use in the sand. I'm not running the baja 1000, just driving sedately down the beach to fish. Would putting it in 4 low be less stress on the t-case in low traction but high load situations?
This one had 150k miles on it, i'd like to get 150 out of the replacement, too!

Dieter

Back