• Register Today It's free!

DPFE Sensor EGR Help!

Tim Wagor

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa,OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I recently had the hose that blow exhaust to my DPFE sensor break off. The result was a mini blow torch against my upper intake manifold thus a hole the size of your finger.
All this means a new upper intake, new DPFE sensor and new set of the hoses up from ehaust to the sensor.

Does any body know if the metel DPFE sensor is a better choice over the black plastic one? It seems, if mine would have been metal it might not have broke off where the hose attaches as it did.
Also does anyone have any thoughts to as why this would would happen. It appears that ehaust was to hot for the rubber hose to handle. This must be one of Fords brighter ideas here.
Lastly does anybody sell these hoses besides the dealer? At $20 buck a pop somebodys makeing a killing.

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is JUST a thought. The DPFE (otherwise the Delta Pressure Feedback Sensor or the Differential Pressure Feedback Sensor - same same) measures a pressure gradient across a constriction. If somehow THAT orifice (constriction - and I have no idea how they constrict it) was removed, the downstream tube might get a lot more heat than it bargained for. Like I said, JUST a thought. The DPFE really takes a beating, and if you have read the posts on here, is a problem child in the EGR system - but your problem is a NEW one on me!

Happy Exploring

Chris

This just happened to me over the weekend. The CEL lit up about halfway through a 4 hr. trip. The truck ran and drove normally, so I assumed it was an O2 sensor again. (one was showing a slow response about a month ago, but seemed to be fine since then).

WRONG!!

After I got home, I pulled the codes with my scanner, and got a P1405. Upon checking the DPFE hoses, I found that one had burst near the fitting on the DPFE, causing the blowtorch effect. Thankfully my intake is intact, but the wiring harness for the IAC, DPFE, and some other stuff got toasted. The wires inside seem to be ok, but they are now fused inside a melted chunk of plastic that used to be split loom. I also checked the other hose more closely, and it has a soft spot in the same area. I was expecting to replace just the DPFE. So much for an easy fix. :rolleyes:

About the metal and plastic, which is better question. I'm not positive but from my experience with a 95 and 96 ohv those are metal not sure when they switched to plastic but my experience with a 99 sohc that is plastic. Another thing I ran into is the conection on a 95 and 96 are year specific and wouldn't switch without modification. I haven't tried or even looked to see if the plastic would switch out but who knows with modification almost anything is possible. Hope this helps.

As far as the hoses go, you can get these at any autoparts store. Make sure to buy the right grade - i.e. EEC (high temp)-rated hoses - standard rubber will just melt and put u back where you started...

Make sure you get the right size hoses (one larger inner-diameter than the other), and buy enough to have a spare set (or two) when you need 'em.

1996Limited said:
About the metal and plastic, which is better question. I'm not positive but from my experience with a 95 and 96 ohv those are metal not sure when they switched to plastic but my experience with a 99 sohc that is plastic. Another thing I ran into is the conection on a 95 and 96 are year specific and wouldn't switch without modification. I haven't tried or even looked to see if the plastic would switch out but who knows with modification almost anything is possible. Hope this helps.

The only experience I can speak of here is my old 2000 V6 Mustang. Only had 2 problems out of it in 115,000 miles, an O2 sensor and the DPFE sensor. My stock DPFE sensor was metal the replacement was plastic b/c they said Ford was having issues with this and the metal one leaked water into it. So they began replacing them with the plastic one. Just what I was told.

Geoff

The metal DPFE sensors had an issue of causing RF noise into circuits that use reluctance sensors, i.e. CMP or VSS... that was the main reason for the switch.

Yea, the nipple on the exhaust side of my DPFE melted off but didn't effect anything else(thank god). Gonna replace it and hope that it lasts for a while.

Yep same here, the hose popped off of the sensor and melted a hole right where the EGR pipe goes into the intake, I have the metal DPFE sensor. went and bought some fuel line, and so far after 3 months it's been fine. However I now have to replace the upper intake after changing out injector orings and one injector.

Did any one fix this? How about a plugged converter causing excess back pressure.

I replaced mine and just bought cheap hoses and have not had a problem since..
this is what it looked like though the stupid metal one...

Attachments

• dpfe2.GIF
    dpfe2.GIF
    74 KB · Views: 23,522
  • dpfe.GIF
    dpfe.GIF
    88.6 KB · Views: 24,466

i can not believe that much heat comes thru this thing as others are saying a torch effect wow. makes me think i should change my cheap hoses i put on them..

Dpfe

wells automotive parts makes the best aftermarket, replacement. it is also cheaper than fords.

olemech said:
wells automotive parts makes the best aftermarket, replacement. it is also cheaper than fords.

I would not get a wells, had one die on me after about two years. Replaced it this time with the new ford part, had to cut the old electrical connector off and soldier a new one they provided on.

I was glad to see this post as the same thing happened to my 99 Explorer
last night and when I saw what was left of my burnt/ torched sensor and wiring I thought I had a massive short. after reading this I now know what happened. I just need to sort through the harness to make sure I don't have
any shorts

problem: Strange jump / shake 00 Explorer

1/22/08 (EGR)

Hi to you all you out there.
I have come back to give an update on the problem I was having and the result so far. I ordered online an EGR valve and I put it on. Note, that on mine there are two vacuum lines and one electrical connector. I would recommend that you replace those two vacuum lines as they do not come with the part.
Note: that they are not the same size braided vacuum line. I took the unit out and matched the vacuum line up to the unit at my local auto parts store that sells it by the foot, only cost a few bucks. I noticed one of my vacuum lines was not tight and that also could cause problems. I put the new unit in over two weeks ago, no problems as of yet. It was a good test as mine acted up while snowing or cold weather. It has been very cold and snowing and 400+ miles later no problem.
Next thing I will be doing as it warms up is removing the stock air box and filter. Being I don’t have emission control here in this state I’m putting in a KFM cold air system ,it’s cheaper and better flow than KN is what I have been hearing so far.
While I’m tearing that apart I want to get rid of that low idle problem that sound like the engine is missing, while idling. When this happens it also brings on more vibration when idling to low. This can be done by taking the MAP apart and cleaning it. Do a search here as you must be very careful when cleaning it. If you can’t find the link send me a note I will see if I can find it for you.
Drive safe and have fun, Redman2

I was glad to see this post as the same thing happened to my 99 Explorer
last night and when I saw what was left of my burnt/ torched sensor and wiring I thought I had a massive short. after reading this I now know what happened. I just need to sort through the harness to make sure I don't have
any shorts

I got realy lucky I was able to find a couple at a junk yard. one plastic one metal. installed the plastic one replaced the hoses and haven't had a problem since. the whole job cost less than $5.

you do have to check those hoses you got to figure exhaust gases are running through them right off the manifold. they get extremely brittle and especially right at the DPFE. I've actually seen the piece on the exhaust manifold break off. and your right the plastic one is a replacement one. ford actually had a problem where the DPFE would cause and problem with the PCM and would cause an intermittant stalling. was shorting out somehow. if the hoses keep blowing off i would check for a clogged cat.

I replaced the hose on the left with 1/4" (6.35mm) Dayco Gen2 Fuel Injection Hose. Pep Boys told me this would work. Now I have my doubts. Do I need to replace this hose with one specifically designed for this application?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NAPA said they listed a hose for the sensor yet they did not sell the sensor. The hose listed for around $20. I just brought in what was left of my old hose and they matched it up with some fuel hose. So far so good, but I am going to keep an eye on it I also put a couple of wire ties around the hose on the sensor side figure better safe than sorry.

Back