• Register Today It's free!

Draining Radiator Problem

tsuter01

Reaction score
City, State
lafayette, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I was removing the radiator drain plug so that I could drain the coolant, and it broke off. So I have the external portion of the plug in my hand, and unfortunately the internal portion is still firmly lodged in the bottom of the radiator. Any ideas on how I can get the rest of the plug out???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it is not leaking don't worry about it. To drain the radiator just remove the lower hose connection.

If there is enough plug to get a dremel tool to, make a slot in the end of it and try to get it out with a screwdriver. If not, then you will probably have to either use an easy out, or VERY CAREFULLY drill it out. Just make sure you choose a drill bit smaller than the threads on the radiator so you don't bugger the threads up. Once you have drilled out most of it, you should be able to break out the rest of the plug.

then , do you just buy a new drain plug and thread it in?

Originally posted by Rhett Browning
then , do you just buy a new drain plug and thread it in?

Yep.

Thanks for the feedback.

You probably want to get the plug first, before drilling. Also if you are going to use an AC elect drill you might want to remove the fluid from the rad. by removing the lower hose. Sometimes the introduction of fluid to an elect. drill can be shocking.

Originally posted by Bill Kemp
You probably want to get the plug first, before drilling. Also if you are going to use an AC elect drill you might want to remove the fluid from the rad. by removing the lower hose. Sometimes the introduction of fluid to an elect. drill can be shocking.

Aaaaahhhh, you're taking all the fun out of it :D

Back