Dripping In Driveway At Cold Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dripping In Driveway At Cold Start

hbalek

Reaction score
City, State
Kensington, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
So I've had my ST for almost 3 months and 2500 miles and have noticed liquid dripping under the driver's side middle of the vehicle after cold starts. I've kept an eye on this at every cold start making sure it's not coolant or other fluid. It seems to be a lot of condensation in the exhaust system some dripping in the front and more expectedly from the exhaust tips. My worry was that it was the trans cooler leaking. Silly me! Last night I looked underneath and it was definitely coming from the exhaust pipe and it was just clear water. So I did some googling and found this:

Exhaust Leak Only When Cold? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

A weep hole exists in the exhaust near the manifold to allow condensation to escape. I had no idea as this is my first truck and first twin turbo engine, which apparently produce more heat and water vapor which condenses in the cold exhaust pipes! I'm relieved to learn this new information! Has anyone else experienced this with their Explorer?

Can't say I've noticed anything dripping from underneath on mine but then I park in the garage. I'll try to check it the next time I pull out. I know that mufflers have weep holes.

Peter

Exhaust drips are normal.... condensate !!!

Back