rough idle at cold start....help

Suren20

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' Exp XLT AWD 4.0 sohc
hi guys, I'm new to this forum...

My 98 xlt runs very rough in the moring (cold) for few min, and when I rev it up a little and once it warmed up it runs fine. Is this due to the idle air control ?? I've just cleaned up the MAF and it didn't help. Can someone point me in the right direction.

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem on my 98 sport. I had to change out the intake manifold o-rings. It cured the problem. Hope this helps you.

One of the greatest advantages to full synthetic motor oil is it's cold weather viscosity, give Amsoil a try.

Just had this problem,car starts then wont idle properley,surges from 500 to 2000 revs? Sound familliar? Intake o rings worn out.
I would suggest getting couple of prices to fix as i was quoted between 2 and 7 hours labour.Actually took 1.5 hours at Ford dealers.

thanks for the reply folks.

I do run Mobile1 synthetic on mine.....didn't seem to help.

I'll try getting couple of quotes for the repair. How much should I expect to pay?? I hate going to dealer for repairs, can a local mechanic would do the job right ?

Few guys who owns explorer tells me that it's the IAC causing the issue, should just clean this out, can some post me the link to cleaning IAC (I did a search and couldn't find the thread).

thanks.

Oh, one other note: I don't hear any noises coming from the engine when this Idle problem occurs in the morning. If this is intake manifold rings, would I be hearing some sort of rattleing sounds ? ( I picked this up from reading some of the 00M12 threads)

thanks.

Here is a thread on cleaning the IAC:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84220&highlight=Cleaning+IAC

In the thread for the intake O-rings, they are discussing two different issues that happened to the early (97-98) 4.0 SOHC engines:

1. Problems with the timing chain tensioners. There was a field campaign to fix this problem.

2. Problems with leaking intake o-rings. This causes surging and idle problems when the engine is cold. This was also a field campaign.

At the time, Ford issued a bulletin (00M12) which covered both problems.

My money is on the IAC. I have a 2000 V8 and had the same issue. $54 + 10 minutes and the problem was solved. I tried cleaning it but it did not help at all. Replacing was my only option.

Suren20 said:
Oh, one other note: I don't hear any noises coming from the engine when this Idle problem occurs in the morning. If this is intake manifold rings, would I be hearing some sort of rattleing sounds ? ( I picked this up from reading some of the 00M12 threads)

thanks.

You won't hear anything when this happens. There are 2) three ring gaskets/orings for the upper intake and 6) seperate gaskets/orings for the lower. These are made of rubber(thats why no rattles) and the stock ones are a bit harder compound than after markets. I think you will find that the lower ones will be flattened out some. When it is cold and engine sits for an extended period of time, these orings shrink, thus creating a slight vacuum leak(causing rough idle). When your engine heats up, these then expand again and the leak will be gone almost completely. It is highly recommended that you change BOTH sets at the same time on the 4.0 SOHC motors. If this is in fact your problem, you would be getting codes for too lean in banks 1 & 2. You would also get codes for an IAC problem as well. You can get all the orings for about $12 - $15.00 at an Orielys auto parts or AutoZone. It takes about 1 1/2 to 3 hours to do depending on mechanical ability.

Yep sounds like 00M12 to me. Lower Intake manifold leaking. Buy the kit from Ford. Feel free to do a search for my post that tells you how to fix it yourself. It's a PITA.

Thanks guys.... I'm going to do the 00M12 fix, I think this shoud solve my issues.

btw, I did get those codes for Too lean for bank 1 & 2. So this should fix it.

Mikeh, I've printed your detailed post and I'm planning to do it myself....hope I get to it this weekend.

This board Rocks ! so much information !

while on the same topic, should I also look into changing the 01M01 kit as well ? I don't hear anything in the engine (diesel engine sound)

Is this a bigger job ? have anyone done this ?

thanks.

No need to do the 01m01 job unless you have the symptoms. That is a much much bigger job and is unnecessary.

Do the 00M12 and you are good to go.

mikeh

A Big THANKS !!!

Finally got the 00m12 kit install over the weekend and walla....problem is gone! :D

The outside temp dropped down to ~40F and the truck idle like a champ.

A very big thanks to Mike for his write up, helped out a lot for me.

I did take a lot of pic of the process, if anyone interested pm me.

Again this board is awesome :thumbsup: ......saved me a lot $$$ and a visit to the stealer ! :cool:

Now, next project is to get my gas mileage up from 15mpg !

Thanks again for all those helpfull hands !

explorer cold start cheap fix

ok guys after all i have read and seen on here i have one problem many of the things i read are speaking of a m0012 tsb well the kit is pretty pricey so i did my own research and came up with this you can go to auto zone and get a upper and lower intake manifold gasket kit for around 15.00 take it home and do it yourself its easy even a novice can do it after i installed the new gasket the truck started right up no problems no rough idle no stepping on the acellorator or anything in 30 degree weather i would be having problems but not anymore as far as the rattle i am sure you can get the cam tensioner form autozone or advance auto as well a lot cheaper anyways i hope this helps if you do it your self just get a manual and follow the step by step instructions and if it says remove valve covers there is no need to the lower manifold is narrow enough to be removed without all that hassle ...:usa::navajo::exp:

Thanks for all the excellent posts. my father has been complaining for years about the rough idle on his 98 explorer which evolved into the cold start problem.after reading the threads, I installed the $15 autozone intake gaskets. The car runs perrrfect & I am now the favorite son. This forum has saved me over & over. My sincere thanks to all.

This is my problem exactly. Anyone have the part # for the o-ring kit handy? The links posted here won't fire up on my work computer. Thanks in advance.

I had the same issue about two weeks ago.. at idle it would "choke" and go from 500rpm - 1200rpm ish, when given gas it was fine. I also had the two codes, which I originally thought was from the KN filter. In the end replaced the intake gaskets and filers, upper and low, no more CEL, no more rough idle.. UNLESS I run the A/C at the same time, it still seems to do it a little.

Are you guys seeing the rough idle after repairing with the A/C on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back