drive line truble

rsw2008

My 95 EX EB
Reaction score
City, State
pine grove, ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt 95 ex eb
can i drive my 95 eb a short distance (6 or 7 miles) with out the rear drive line installed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have the 4WD or 2WD? If you have the 4WD you can drive it a few miles but keep the speeds to a minimum. Remember, if it's 4WD and you're driving it on dry pavement you take the chance of messing up the transfercase.

Do NOT ever drive in 4 wheel drive on DRY PAVEMENT!...even for a short distance ....you will bind up / damage drive train...
And although you didn't state it I'm sure you don't have AWD... my understanding our 95's did NOT come / have option of AWD.

Can you? Sure.

Will it damage your transfer case? Quite possibly.

I’d advise against it.

1628244545635.png

I've seen it done but I wouldn't do it

Can you? Sure.

Will it damage your transfer case? Quite possibly.

I’d advise against it.
All these answers miss the real answer to the original question! If it's a 4WD , removal of the rear driveshaft allows FRONT WHEELS to drive the vehicle UNRESTRICTED; must use 4X4 HIGH push button if so equipped. This allows transfer case to simply revolve it's output shaft freely, since rear driveshaft is disconnected. Why would this hurt the transfer case?

If it's All Wheel Drive (which was mentioned as unlikely), there are NO 4X4 CONTROLS; with rear shaft removed, front wheels will drive vehicle, but consume plenty of fuel. Would that hurt the transfer case? Of course not; it drives the front wheels ALL the TIME, regardless.

If it's a 2WD vehicle, all bets ARE OFF!

I believe that on most cars/trucks the rear diff has some sort of limited slip for when going around a corner, the outer wheel travels farther and faster than the inside one. Does the front also have this capability, especially in 4WD mode? 4WD is for dirt/gravel type roads only.

"All these answers miss the real answer to the original question! If it's a 4WD , removal of the rear driveshaft allows FRONT WHEELS to drive the vehicle UNRESTRICTED; must use 4X4 HIGH push button if so equipped. This allows transfer case to simply revolve it's output shaft freely, since rear driveshaft is disconnected. Why would this hurt the transfer case?"
TURNING the front wheels on dry pavement in 4WD mode (even with rear driveshaft disconnected) could potentially bind up causing some damage to some part(s) of drive-train even though the front diffs open....that's my understanding.

I believe that on most cars/trucks the rear diff has some sort of limited slip for when going around a corner, the outer wheel travels farther and faster than the inside one. Does the front also have this capability, especially in 4WD mode? 4WD is for dirt/gravel type roads only.
What you are talking about is called a differential. All vehicles have a differential, which allows one wheel to turn faster/slower than the other. The limited slip concept is a specialized differential having a means of preventing free and easy differential action, but still "slips" when wheel speeds are not equal. There are a number of different types of limited slip differentials available, but they are far fewer in number than plain old "open" differentials.

With driven front wheels, whether Front Wheel Drive only, or 4 Wheel Drive, the FRONT must also have a differential unit. Below is a rear axle center section, containing the differential.

1628315997558.png

This is what's in it, even in the FRONT:
1628316225808.png

"TURNING the front wheels on dry pavement in 4WD mode (even with rear driveshaft disconnected) could potentially bind up causing some damage to some part(s) of drive-train even though the front diffs open....that's my understanding."

Can you change your understanding? Consider All Wheel Drive, in which the front wheels are being DRIVEN at ALL TIMES; no "binding" happens, no damage (with rear driveshaft or without).

How? Because there is a FRONT DIFFERENTIAL allowing the wheels to turn at different speeds, while being driven by the FRONT driveshaft. Limited slip differentials are NOT RECOMMENDED for for front use, but for SAFETY reasons, not physical limitations. However, use of the Torsen type differential, which positively connects both front axles while allowing cornering has been found acceptable up front.

Torsen Torque-Sensing (full name Torsen traction) is a type of limited-slip differential used in automobiles.

It was invented by American Vernon Gleasman[1] and manufactured (originally) by the Gleason Corporation.

can i drive my 95 eb a short distance (6 or 7 miles) with out the rear drive line installed?
If it’s 4x4 and not awd then yea, you just gotta have it in 4 high. Only problem I could see is if the computer has a feature that auto turns off 4x4 above a certain speed. Either way take it slow if you pull the rear drive shaft completely out.

Aloha, don't do it. I run a Jeep club (05 Rubi built) Have 4 Explorers. 1is 4x4. Also have a 97 mercury mountaineer all wheel drive v8. Disconnecting the front is fine. Rear your risking thousands by disconnecting. Get a tow truck save yourself the headache. GL.

If it's a 4x4 1354 transfercase you can do it. I drove 4 hours from Salton City, CA back home to Phoenix, AZ with just a front driveshaft.

This isn’t an answer to your question, but my ‘05
to finish, my ‘05 threw off a couple driveshaft weights!
That was a crazy vibration!
Just one of many crazy experiences I had with my “Exploder”.
Toir for first with the spark plug that ejected out of the head!😩

Simply put, yes. With the rear driveshaft removed it will drive like a front wheel drive but worse. You will have a lot of torque steer and you will notice every unevenness to the road but as far as the vehicle goes it will not hurt it unless you drive it like you stole it.

Simply put, yes. With the rear driveshaft removed it will drive like a front wheel drive but worse. You will have a lot of torque steer and you will notice every unevenness to the road but as far as the vehicle goes it will not hurt it unless you drive it like you stole it.
BS. You're giving some one who wants to go 5 miles. You gonna fix it when his front goes.? It's not that simple. So many stubies to disconnect even if can get bolts out. And more If ur a wrench tell it straight. Bad idea!!! 👎 👌 44 explores to date since 97. Ford is solid. F150 super crew 4x4 w 38s. I've rebuilt diffs on Explorers several times. His year not worth the risk.

BS. You're giving some one who wants to go 5 miles. You gonna fix it when his front goes.? It's not that simple. So many stubies to disconnect even if can get bolts out. And more If ur a wrench tell it straight. Bad idea!!! 👎 👌 44 explores to date since 97. Ford is solid. F150 super crew 4x4 w 38s. I've rebuilt diffs on Explorers several times. His year not worth the risk.
Boy if that’s the case then he better not ever drive it in the snow with the 4x4 engaged, guaranteed to put more strain on it that way. But you have peaked my curiosity on what part will fail during this and why. What would be happening in that front diff that isn’t happening in the snow or sand or mud for that matter?

Boy if that’s the case then he better not ever drive it in the snow with the 4x4 engaged, guaranteed to put more strain on it that way. But you have peaked my curiosity on what part will fail during this and why. What would be happening in that front diff that isn’t happening in the snow or sand or mud for that matter?
The front diff is weak and boy I go way back. Not meaning offensive. 👍 that's going to put a lot if pressure to front wheels. Let's decide what breaks first cv? Half? Not including if he takes the rear there's that leak from tranny. Fry that fed its just my personal reccomadatiin. I fix those all day. 05 stay away. 🙏 get a tow truck

I believe he said 95.

I’m not familiar with the 95 4x4, but if there is a 4hi lock then the front can pull the truck.
If the rear yoke slips out of the transfer case then the chance of fluid loss could cause damage to the case. In a must do situation I would cover the tail shaft of the case with a coffee cup and wrap with plastic bag and duct tape or the like to limit fluid loss.
Then drive easy as all the power to pull the truck will be on the front axle.

AWD I believe have a limited slip style transfer case and damage could be done.
I’d recommend no on AWD.

Experts on the Explorer transfer case for this year would know better.

Older 3/4 tons that have fixed yokes on the transfer case output shafts can run with just one shaft front or rear.

Even had a customer with a heavy duty 4wheel drive bucket truck drive on the front shaft for a few weeks until the rear shaft could be repaired.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The front diff is weak and boy I go way back. Not meaning offensive. 👍 that's going to put a lot if pressure to front wheels. Let's decide what breaks first cv? Half? Not including if he takes the rear there's that leak from tranny. Fry that fed its just my personal reccomadatiin. I fix those all day. 05 stay away. 🙏 get a tow truck
The front differential IS weaker than the rear, very true. It is intended as an added source of traction in addition to the rear, but the question here is one of getting BACK, or staying broken down, an EMERGENCY use of the front wheels only, not expected to be hot-rodded. Consider that the front differential, if a Dana Model 35, was used for many years as the main axle for ALL JEEPS. It CAN be busted,like anything else.

Back