Driveline binding | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driveline binding

@Mbrooks420

?? Where might one find a D 35 in the rear of anything except maybe a Jeep? Besides, the OP is a solid axle rear, unless my assumption that Gen Is had independent front suspension is wrong. I'm buried! imp
Yes, from a Heep. Seems extremely weird to me that an 8.8 internal would physically bolt into the D35 IFS. Almost surely it’s just a 4.10 out of another car and the original owner wasn’t smart enough to know there is other ratios.

4.10 limiter slips aren’t nearly as common as the 3.73s and might take awhile to find.

OP, what made you think it was because of rear end gears installed in the front?

Yes, from a Heep. Seems extremely weird to me that an 8.8 internal would physically bolt into the D35 IFS. Almost surely it’s just a 4.10 out of another car and the original owner wasn’t smart enough to know there is other ratios.

4.10 limiter slips aren’t nearly as common as the 3.73s and might take awhile to find.

OP, what made you think it was because of rear end gears installed in the front?
The 2.21 was actually my own math error. I forgot that I needed to double the pinion rotation count for the spiders. However I looked it up and that ratio was available on a Dana 35 but only for a rear. Correct me if I’m wrong but a rear low pinion gear seems like it would be cut in the correct direction for a high pinion front. I think the 8.8 confusion started when I mentioned the mustang. I have a folder of service records from the time it was new until I purchased it. Just for curiosity I’m going to search through it and see if there is a record of it.

The 2.21 was actually my own math error. I forgot that I needed to double the pinion rotation count for the spiders. However I looked it up and that ratio was available on a Dana 35 but only for a rear. Correct me if I’m wrong but a rear low pinion gear seems like it would be cut in the correct direction for a high pinion front. I think the 8.8 confusion started when I mentioned the mustang. I have a folder of service records from the time it was new until I purchased it. Just for curiosity I’m going to search through it and see if there is a record of it.
@Chessii
You got that right! High pinion fronts were used to get the added strength of not driving forwards using the weaker "coast side" of the ring gear teeth. imp

Back