Chessii

Reaction score
City, State
Golden Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Xlt
Callsign
Happy Camper
I have seen a lot of discussions on binding on hard surfaces and while turning. All of those suggesting three solutions, no 4x4 on surfaces with good traction, clean and lubricate the driveshaft slip joint, and check the u joints.
Yesterday I was going up a mild dirt hill, wet and partly snow covered. About a 50 yard pretty straight pull. I was in 4 high. About halfway up I was binding so bad that the engine stalled. I coasted back down put it in 2 wheel drive and went right up it slinging dirt and gravel all the way. About five miles later we were on a maintained hard packed dirt road that was icy so I put it in 4h again to go up the hill. On the ice it wasn’t binding but the rear was trying to come around UPHILL.
My u joints are in good shape and I have no problem rotating the drive shaft when it’s disengaged. I plan on pulling the driveshaft this week and lubricating it just to be sure. While I’m at it I’m going to jack up a wheel and check the differential ratio. I’m starting to feel like someone has put 4.10 in the front and 3:73 in the rear. Any suggestions? Bueller?Bueller?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Checking the ratios by counting rotations would be a good move. How about the tires, same size front and back? How’s the hubs, are they factory automatics?
Have you used 4wd before without this issue? Is this a new to you vehicle?

The driveshaft being dry would never cause the motor to stall. You have a bigger issue like an incorrect gear ratio or a damaged transfer case. With the gear ratio being off in snow or ice one set of tires would always be spinning. We used to have a plow truck at work with mismatched sized tires and the front axle was constantly spinning it’s tires. Miserable truck.

Checking the ratios by counting rotations would be a good move. How about the tires, same size front and back? How’s the hubs, are they factory automatics?
Have you used 4wd before without this issue? Is this a new to you vehicle?
All tires and wheels are identical and new. I’ve done the manual hub conversion. The autos were hit and miss when I bought it in September. Also did a manual transmission swap and small lift. I’ve been on a few trips in the snow on roads and trails. I’ve noticed typical binding in a turn but I’m used to that. This is the first time I’ve ever had anything bind on loose dirt in a straight pull to the point it killed the engine. I’m definitely going to jack a wheel, lock a hub, and count pinion rotations.

Got some garage time this morning and thought you guys might like an update. Someone has put a rear diff ring and pinion in the front. It has 2.21:1 gears. Luckily I have a spare with the correct gears

Crazy.

I’ve never heard of gears as high as 2.21s

That ratio would have been in something like a mustang. Police packages often had a very high ratio. I had to recheck it twice. I couldn’t believe it.

Got some garage time this morning and thought you guys might like an update. Someone has put a rear diff ring and pinion in the front. It has 2.21:1 gears. Luckily I have a spare with the correct gears
@Chessii
How did you determine that ratio? You do know, I hope, that with one wheel off the ground, counting pinion or driveshaft turns gives you 1/2 of the real gear ratio, because of the differential gears going round and round. imp

What’s the rear?

Impossible to fit a 8.8 r+p in a D 35 diff.

Impossible to fit a 8.8 r+p in a D 35 diff.
@RangerX
Absolutely, but did anyone suggest it? I missed something here, evidently. Dana has it's own gears, and I believe the 8.8 may be made by Ford? Or American Axle. OR, Dana?? imp

Would it be possible to install a d35 rear in the front?
@Mbrooks420

?? Where might one find a D 35 in the rear of anything except maybe a Jeep? Besides, the OP is a solid axle rear, unless my assumption that Gen Is had independent front suspension is wrong. I'm buried! imp

Yes it’s stock 8.8 rear 3:73. Front ttb Dana 35 hubs locked passenger wheel jacked off the floor transfer case in 2wd one wheel rotation = 2.2 pinion.

@Chessii
How did you determine that ratio? You do know, I hope, that with one wheel off the ground, counting pinion or driveshaft turns gives you 1/2 of the real gear ratio, because of the differential gears going round and round. imp
Thank you. Lol.

Ok so that would be more of a 2.05 x 2=4.10 So my best solution sounds like regear the rear
@Chessii
That sounds more like it. Best way to do this is with two people each one turning a tire, while you count pinion yoke turns. Each tire turned one turn, use valve stems lined up facing ground to start, mark pinion yoke with chalk mark. That method ensures the differential gears stay stationary while wheels turn.

With limited slip, they both turn alike when only one is turned, so it's easier. No LS will likely be found in a front. imp

@Chessii
That sounds more like it. Best way to do this is with two people each one turning a tire, while you count pinion yoke turns. Each tire turned one turn, use valve stems lined up facing ground to start, mark pinion yoke with chalk mark. That method ensures the differential gears stay stationary while wheels turn.

With limited slip, they both turn alike when only one is turned, so it's easier. No LS will likely be found in a front. imp
I didn’t have help so I used Chevy orange paint on the back of the wheel across the caliper and another stripe on the pinion/diff. After two pinion rotations I looked up for the stripe on the tire and it was down by the one on the caliper. I redid it two more times to make sure I wasn’t delusional. 4.10 In front is the best case scenario to me. I was planning to regear to that anyway before swapping to 33’s. Now I just put the rear overhaul ahead of the transfer case and im bueno. Locker discs and molly’s here I come

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn’t have help so I used Chevy orange paint on the back of the wheel across the caliper and another stripe on the pinion/diff. After two pinion rotations I looked up for the stripe on the tire and it was down by the one on the caliper. I redid it two more times to make sure I wasn’t delusional. 4.10 In front is the best case scenario to me. I was planning to regear to that anyway before swapping to 33’s. Now I just put the rear overhaul ahead of the transfer case and im bueno. Locker discs and molly’s here I come
@Chessii

Good deal! If you really want to get fancy, and you have differing ratios front to rear, you can use different sized tires front and rear, which must be figured out sizewise to match gearing for 4 Wheel use, in 2 wheel that won't matter. imp

Back