• Register Today It's free!

Driver Door Problems

locosol96

Reaction score
City, State
Odenton, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Hello All! Did a search, and don't think I found anything that sounds like my problem. Driver's door does not open from the inside. The handle can't even be pulled. It's like it's stuck. I can open from the outside, but this is becoming annoying quickly. The locks work 90% of the time, but occasionally the door will lock after I shut it without any help from me, even if the key is in the ignition and running. Also, the outside door handle is a little loose and "flaps" a bit. So, what I can't exactly figure out is: Do I need to replace the actuator? Do I just need the outside door handle replaced? Both? I'm at a loss here. Took the whole thing apart last night and can't for the life of me see what's causing the problem. The door won't open even if I push the rod....

sounds like you have 2 problems.

1) outer handle flapping - search for something like loose door handle, the outside handles break and cause problems.

2a) the interior handle could be linkages inside the door, there are several pastic clips holding the linkages together.

2b) the interior handle can also be caused by a broken return spring in the latch, this is what happened to me. do a search for door latch.

David

Back