Driver Lock issue (odd) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver Lock issue (odd)

1997LT1

Reaction score
City, State
houston
First would like to say hello to everybody on the forum!

Vehicle specs are 2000 explorer, 4.0 v6 OHV. 4x4 XLS 4dr

I am having trouble with my driver side door lock. When pressing remote it does not lock, but locks all 3 other doors. I cannot lock it with a key also. As you can see this is important, because I dont want to be robbed.

I took the door panel off and looked around. I am suspecting the lock actuation mechanism, but would that keep my key from turning to lock on door to lock position? Anybody have any of these issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it lock using the switch by the rear hatch?

Does it lock using the switch by the rear hatch?

I just went out and tried that, and it did not lock it. All the switches inside will lock the 3 other doors, but the driver door lock does not even twitch.

Do a search for "door locks" and you should find all you need to fix that problem

Mine was going the exact same thing a few months back. I could stick my key in and turn it both ways and it would not lock or unlock my explorer. The switch would unlock/lock all the doors except the drivers. I replaced the door lock actuator and had to hook the key lock back to it and all works great now. Sad thing is i have replaced it twice within three years.:thumbdwn:

Do a search for "door locks" and you should find all you need to fix that problem

I searched earlier a bit for door locks and got a few threads pertaining to a spring or latch issue. I am not thinking I have a latch issue, but never say never. Are there any threads that stick in particular?

Mine was going the exact same thing a few months back. I could stick my key in and turn it both ways and it would not lock or unlock my explorer. The switch would unlock/lock all the doors except the drivers. I replaced the door lock actuator and had to hook the key lock back to it and all works great now. Sad thing is i have replaced it twice within three years.:thumbdwn:

Do you know a good place to get an actuator? I noticed you said you could turn the key both ways. I cannot turn my key back towards locked or it feels like I could break the key off into the keyhole. It feels jammed or blocked almost. I would think if the actuator would fail it would let it move either way, but I may be wrong.?

After driving around with no panel on the door today, I went to unlock door, only to notice that the lock had engaged, and locked with the other 3 doors. So whatever it is, is only intermittent at this point. I also went out and locked the door with the key also. Does this sound like an actuator that could be fading out?

Back