Driver Seat Issue | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver Seat Issue

I got the seat out and after some checking found a broken drive gear for the rear height adjustment. Here are a couple pics for reference:

DSC05320.png

DSC05338.png

I haven't had any luck finding the gear, but there are several salvage yards with the complete seat track available. After calling Ford, I found that my 2002 seat track is also used in the 2003 model, as well as the 2002-2003 Mercury Mountaineer. I'll post again once the replacement is done, and then part out the old seat track. So if anyone needs something from it, let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No luck at McMaster. I have a complete used seat on its way. I used www.car-part.com to find a salvage yard that had it. Total cost was $125 with shipping. I should be able to get the part I need from it and part out the rest. I'll post again once it's done.

I know this thread is old, but i need that plastic spyder gear as well. Any help would be great.

I am glad you brought the thread back because mine is still not fixed. How do you go from photo 1 to photo 2 in the above post. I don't know where to begin to get the gear box apart to check the gear. Does anybody?

Remove seat 4 15mm bolts and 2 wiring harnesses. Turn seat over, you will see what motor controls what, pick the right motor. There are 4-1/4" bolts, undoe them. You will have to slide 1 motor over and you will see how, when you look at the motors. Open the plastic casing that holds the plastic gear you are going to remove.
The gear is incased inside a steel cylinder, you will see a pin that holds it inplace. Remove this pin and the whole gear and rod will be free.
I picked up a complete seat track at a junkyard for 70 bucks. RR with the one you pick up.

Just a reminder, do not lose the spacer on top of the gear, its small but you have to replace it when you put the gear back together. I know this because i forgot it the first time and the seat rocks like carzy without it.
It took me a couple of hours the first try. 30 minutes the second try. Its really a simple fix.

Thanks to Gordon's pics and writeup along with wikkids clarifications, my 6 way driver's seat is 6 way again. Ended up picking up an entire seat for $50 from the salvage yard. I was able to extract the worm gear and spider gear assembly from the old seat and replace it in mine. All works great.

The original problem looks like my worm gear got stuck telescoping in/out of the receiver. Next the spider gear broke a tooth and hence stuck in that position.

Back