• Register Today It's free!

Driver side power seat problem

WetHog

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Limited
I did a forum search and couldn't find anything on my issue. I have a 2007 V6 Limited Edition that my Wife drives and she has informed me that the driver side power seat moves while she is driving. She said it started doing it once in a while about a month ago, and today it was doing it constantly. Also, the interior dome light came on by itself while the seat started moving. My Wife uses our Explorer to shuttle my Children around and I am anxious to get this issues resolved.

The truck is stock and has around 60,000 miles on it. Any ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also have an 07 Explorer Limited and the same problem. It seems to be affected by wiggling the key. It ususlly happens when I first start the car or when I remove other keys from the ring (i have one of those quick connectors on the keyring). I just took it to the dealer and they replaced the memory module and it still is moving back on its own.

I plan on taking it back to the dealer and will post any findings here.

Thanks for the reply. I hope you find something out to fix it because I have had zero luck on my end.

I just bought a 2007 Explorer. Within the first week the seat did this same thing. It really freaked out the wife. Tomorrow I'm taking it back to the Ford dealer I bought if from and make them fix it. I have a 1,000 mile warranty that came with the car. They are saying it only covers power train. I'm saying this is a safety issue and they must make it right. I'll post the outcome.
Thanks

Before I owned it, my 07 Limited had the key recepticle (tumbler) replaced for this problem. I would say it is probably this, given that in at least the case of boiler_man it can be replicated by wiggling the key.

Since I have owned it (after the repair) I've never had this problem occur again.

same problem

I have been having the same problem with my drivers seat. Somebody told me to try the other key since it was new and not "worn" any. This worked for a while but it has started again now that this key is worn. Also, I have a quick disconnect key chain so there is no weight on the ignition.

Has anybody replaced the key tumbler themselves?

Driver side power seat moving randomly on its own

happens when I put in reverse, when I'm driving (!), when I hiot brakes, etc. Randomly and increasingly often! Scary...

I would pull the power seats fuse or disconnect the electrical connector under the seat in the meantime to avoid any accidents.

i believe the power seat memory function can be disabled from the info center can't it?

try turning it off and see if it still happens.

The combination of issues (lights and seat) is the key (I think). It sounds like the key and/or door sensors are thinking that the vehicle is being shut off and/or the driver is exiting. This is causing the lights to come on and/or the Easy Egress feature (moves the seat back when you open the door to get out).

Go into the setup menu, and disable the easy-egress feature. See if the seat problems go away. If so, it a problem with a door sensor. If the issue remains, then focus on the key/ignition area.

Its your ignition switch. Pretty common. About 40 bucks for a replacement on Ebay if you are lucky. A locksmith can key them to your original key if you cant do it yourself.

Its your ignition switch. Pretty common. About 40 bucks for a replacement on Ebay if you are lucky. A locksmith can key them to your original key if you cant do it yourself.

+1. In the meantime you should turn off the "Easy Entry" feature that moves the seat.

drivers seat moving NO MORE

Had this same problem the drivers seat moved all the time....I could make it go crazy by wiggling the key in the ignition....this also caused map lights and other things to come on and off etc...

Had ignition replaced by a locksmith who configured the ignition so all my existing keys work...cost me about $200 for part, labor and trip charge,,not bad considering Where we live in CO. the part at a Denver Ford Dealer was MSRP about $110 this is an Eddie Bauer and the locksmith says it is a more expensive ignition than most Ford Trucks....not sure why has no "wings on it"

This REALLY fixed the seat,,,it now goes back when the door is opened, like it used to,,,it doesn't move, and the ignition has a nice tight grip on the key.

This did NOT however fix my map light problem...the map lights will come on when the door is opened, like they are supposed to do, but will not come on with the button on the upper console when the key is in the ignition...so one problem solved, one more to go. I believe I have a short in the passenger vanity mirror light.....

I did a forum search and couldn't find anything on my issue. I have a 2007 V6 Limited Edition that my Wife drives and she has informed me that the driver side power seat moves while she is driving. She said it started doing it once in a while about a month ago, and today it was doing it constantly. Also, the interior dome light came on by itself while the seat started moving. My Wife uses our Explorer to shuttle my Children around and I am anxious to get this issues resolved.

The truck is stock and has around 60,000 miles on it. Any ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated.
My 07 Eddie Bauer is doing the same thing. And about 6 months ago it started losing all power when I was stopped.... Interior light would go on, seat would move and the car would shut off... While driving!
We had the alternator changed and all was good for 5 months. A couple of weeks ago, the seat started moving again.... And yesterday after grocery shopping car wouldnt start... Only the clicking noise. One hour later car started no problem.... I also travel with the kids a lot and am now getting nervous heading into fall.

Good ole Ford ign switches and cylinders.

Reckon I've changed about 30 of em in the last 25 years...nearly every vehicle I've owned.

Bought a Mustang a few years ago. It was an '89 5.0 convertible. Guy selling it said the fuel pump was out. It was the switch in the column, the damned thing literally had fallen apart.

I drove the car for a bit when it was nice (top was ****), but one day, I noticed some rocker rust. Took the driver fender off to see how bad, the strut tower was pretty well gone. Such a shame, the rest of the car was nice. Had a lot of new parts on it, too. Apparently the owners that had it before the seller were fixing it up and just decided to trade it for a newer, complete Mustang. I bought that car for 750 bucks.

Had 77k on it. It donated a lot of parts to another project. The engine is now a 300-some horse bolt on beast in my '87 Stang, along with the vert's rear, and with some careful work, door panels, dash, and some other minor bits.

The suspension is from a mix of years, '95, 98, 2003, and some ranger axles in the rear (5 lug swapped).

****, sorry I got sidetracked.

Yeah, with the issues in the above few posts, I'd definitely start with the ign switches and tumbers, etc.

good luck, let us know :)

Back