• Register Today It's free!

driver side window fell out

sdrobinson2

Reaction score
City, State
arlington, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 xlt 4x4 4 door
My driver's side door window came loose from the 2 clips that attach it to the window track system. I've searched the files and can't seem to find any reference to how the glass plate is attached to the clips. Is it glued in with some special type of glue or a sealant? I have the window back in the frame and the clips pushed up around the base of the window but the glass is held too tightly in the weatherstripping channels and the window track lowers leaving the window up in the weatherstripping. HELP.

1998 xlt 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My driver's side door window came loose from the 2 clips that attach it to the window track system. I've searched the files and can't seem to find any reference to how the glass plate is attached to the clips. Is it glued in with some special type of glue or a sealant? I have the window back in the frame and the clips pushed up around the base of the window but the glass is held too tightly in the weatherstripping channels and the window track lowers leaving the window up in the weatherstripping. HELP.

1998 xlt 4x4

can you get a picture of what the window clips looks like? i'm wondering if it's the same system as in my first gen, because then i could look at mine and try to figure it out

i have the door panel back on. when i take it off again ill snap a picture. it basically looks like an inverted U-channel facing up and the glass sits inside the channel and it looks like some type of dried glue/sealant in the bottom of the groove to attach to the glass. there are 2 clips, one at each end of the glass.

I had the same problem in my 95. Take the door apart. Clean the glass. Clean out the 2 channels. Fill the channels with clear silicone. Place the glass in the track and push it all of the way up. Once it is up, raise the window track up allowing the silicone to surround the glass. Leave the window up for at least 24 hours to allow the glue to dry. I haven't had a problem with mine since!

Do you know if the glass is supposed to slide in the clips or just stay fastened to the clips tight? I have the same problem! window is not useable, it comes out of clips and jams the regulator up.

'95 XLT 4 dr control trac

Use "Automotive Goop" or "Marine Goop" adhesive. These are strong but have some 'give' should the window get stuck shut from winter freezing. The window motor and mechanism are powerful. The idea is that the window should break free at the clips, should it become stuck, rather than shattering the window.

I have the same issue with my 02 explorer. my exception is it's the rear passengerside. the glass seperated from the u channel frame. I tried the adhesive silacone but it worked once and was done. I checked to see if the window somehow was stuck up, but after lowering the regulator I can lower the glass with no problem by hand then use the regulator to push it back up. The problem with this is im sitting in the drivers seat and can't readly reach the window going down the road. I never did see any clips mabye they broke off and i cant see them in the bottom of the door? hope someone has a good fix for the do it yourselfer because i want to know too.

I just replaced my daughters 99 XLS passenger side glass when it just shattered “mysteriously” going down the road. The mirror also broke too, it doesn’t take a detective to figure it out. When I purchased the replacement from a junk yard and got everything apart I noticed one of the the clips that attaches the window was missing also. I called around and no one will just sell the clips without the window so as suggested above I cleaned the old one out that was left in the regulator and used some marine epoxy to attach it to the window and installed it. I works great ! Also you have to drill out the old clips from the regulator, I use some nylock nuts and screws to reattach. Total cost was about 130.00, window, mirror, epoxy and screws. I hope this helps !

I have had this happen in all my second Gen explorers. The first time I used silicone and that lasted about 4 years then I went with 3m wind shield adhesive and that has held so far about 6 years

Back