Driver's door stuck locked - how to remove door latch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver's door stuck locked - how to remove door latch?

I have a 98, and the driver's door lock is messed up. It won't unlock with the remote, with the key, or from inside. I did some searching, and I think the problem is a broken spring of some sort (not the door handle spring, but a smaller spring on the door latch). If this is the problem, I need help removing the door latch. I can't figure out how to disconnect all that linkage.

I just changed the lock actuator in my driver door and it was a *****. Start off by removing the door panel. When you look inside the door, you can see some kind of rail in which the windows moves up and down. you should def. remove that to give yourself some space to work inside the door (you will need it). Its held in place by only one bolt on the bottom. Remove it, then pull the whole rail down (window should be rolled up of course) and put it at the bottom inside the door. Look inside the door and locate the link that connects the outside door handle with the door latch. Unhook it by opening the clip that holds the link in place and pull it out. Next you need to take care of the lock actuator. You can do two things: 1. Drill out the metal clip that holds the actuator in place with the door 2. Leave the metal clip and try to remove just the actuator. It is hold by a metal clamp on both sides of the actuator. Since you are doing more that just changing the actuator I would go with the first option. Once it is removed unhook the link that connects the actuator to the door latch, disconnect the wires and take it out. There is a third link that connects to the latch to the inside door handle. This one you have to figure out on your own since I havent done it before. But once the three links are disconnected you can remove the bolts that hold the door latch in place, disconnect all the wires and take it out.

Good luck.

Quakecom

Thanks for the info. I'll have to see what I can do now. Btw, how do you like the german headlights?

I have a similiar problem with my lock. its not stuck but many times it doesnt work from the outside. While I was getting a recall done on my X I had the lock quoted... if you cannot fix the lock yourself, I was quoted by Ford and they said it would cost roughly $170.

Thanks for that info. I may just end up taking it somewhere to have it done. I haven't had much free time lately.

Back