• Register Today It's free!

Drivers door won't unlock/open???

J_Love312

Reaction score
City, State
Imperial, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
So a few weeks ago I went to unlock my drivers side door and it wouldnt unlock? So I went to open it from the inside and it opened ok. a few days later the same problem happened, only this time the interior door handle broke off the door, and now the door will not open. :mad: I have had that problem with the exterior door handle spring, where the door handle flops around, but would still open the door, and have heard this spring has something to do with the lock. The key wont open the exterior door lock either, its as if its frozen. So what do I need to do to get the door open and what do I need to replace? Thanks for any suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be your door lock actuator. That's what mine is I had the same problem. Only difference is I can still open it from the inside. I removed the actuator like 2 years ago but now that I've been trying to fix it it's just turning into more and more problems. I'm taking mine to ford to see if they can fix it. It's just a headache. Check your rods inside the door see if any have maybe popped off but more than likely it's your actuator.

i have a feeling it has something to do with the rods. when I hit my remote unlock the lock pops up maybe halfway, but not all the way. And when I try it with the key, it wont turn. Ive heard that the spring for the exterior door handle has something to do with it. But once I get the damn door open, I'll look into the actuator, thanks

Go look in a thread I just posted in called "door latch problem solved". It's a sticky under the 2001-2005 sport trac section. That may answer your question.

i looked into it. looks helpful. any ideas on how to even get my door open so i can get it started?

i looked into it. looks helpful. any ideas on how to even get my door open so i can get it started?

It's the classic syndrome of your Door Lock Latch gone bad (the part of the door lock you see on the door when the door is open).

There's a little spring inside of the lock that breaks, and jams up all of the lock work. Ford has NEVER re-designed the latch as it's a cash cow for their parts department ;-)

This is how I've done it:

* Go to FORD, and buy the SIDE SPECIFIC door lock latch for your vehicle - around $50-60.

*Then you have to first roll down the drivers side window (you need to do this to remove the interior door panel).

*Then remove the drivers seat (2 bolts front/2 bolts back) from the passenger side (you need to do this to remove the driver's side interior door panel).

*Then remove the driver's side interior door panel. This is where the first stage of the real fun begins ;-)

*Once you remove the interior door panel - you'll see a long steel rod that goes from the inside door handle to the door lock latch. Grab that steel rod with your hands, and push it back towards the rear of the truck as hard as you can, multiple times - eventually the lock will pop free and the door will open.

*Once the door is open DO NOT SHUT THE DOOR.

*Remove and replace the door lock latch - this is where stage 2 of the fun begins...

There should be a write up of how to do replace the door latch somewhere on the site.

It's hard the first time because 4-5 rods are attached to it, and there is a sequence of assembly order.

BUT when you're finally done, you'll be an expert for when the passenger side goes.
And it will go out - both door lock latches have a .05 spring that breaks inside of them and causes all this hell ;-)

HTH -

If it's that little spring that keeps the interior manual unlock rod from snagging on the door lock mechanism, I figured out how to fix it without opening up the door. I used a hair tie from my daughters, and carefully wrapped it around the post for the main spring and onto the spring anchor tab on that manual rod. Total cost, almost nothing, and it's been working for a few weeks now, smooth as silk.

If that little demon spring is your problem, this is a cheap and quick fix. Let me know, and I can try to get some pics and offer a better explanation.

Be well :exp:

You probably have a seized lock cylinder, broken handle spring, and broken latch mechanism spring. Spray the cylinder locks with liquid wrench. The handle springs keep them from rattlling and to have a firm feel, but aren't the problem. The lock mechanism spring if broken will need to be replaced or add a helper spring which is the easiest.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165081&highlight=floppy+handle

Back