Driver's Seat Moving.....getting really annoying | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver's Seat Moving.....getting really annoying

NCSUDockhand

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 4X4
For the last month or so, every once in a while when I take off or stop, I have been feeling a slight shift in the drivers seat. It has been getting more frequent and more noticeable and it is about to drive me nuts!

I know there was a recall on the recliner bolt, but the problem feels to me like its in the base of the seat. I'm planning on getting under there this weekend, but thought I would ask here in case anyone has had the same problem and has diagnosed/fixed it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine does it too, I've noticed.. it's very slight, but I feel it. I just figured it's part of just the way the seat is put together.

i had a similar problem ended up my seat track has a crack and so does the frame hope yours isnt as serious.

Well I hope its something I can fix! If I figure out what it is, I will post back.

Mine does this except when the seat is all the way in the down position, which is how I like it so it works out for me. Otherwise, it is very annoying... definitely need to know the fix to this...

Ill toss my name in here on the it does it except when fully down list. I'm pretty sure I had the bolt recall done too. I can't remember though. I ripped the seat out one day and tried to locate it but it takes a good bit of force to make it move so I gave up. Maybe Ill rip my seat out again today and take a look.

I know my passenger seat does a lot of moving. Since it's a Sport and I have the sliding style, I'll sometimes "think" I locked the seat in place until I come to a stop and the seat goes shifting on me. No exactly a safe thing if it were the driver's seat. I haven't noticed any shifting of any sort in my driver's seat, I did have the bolt replaced though.

Update for anyone who was interested. I pulled the seat out today and figured out what is causing the problem.

It's not the seat that's moving, it's the seatbelt. In between the seat and the console, the seatbelt latch slides on a track so that it can move with the seat. There is a slider bolt on the track that has a plastic grommet/bushing that has become toast. So the track can move up and down and back and forth creating the "bumping" sensation I have been feeling.

I just put it back together for now. I have no idea where to get a replacement bushing. It's probably worth about 10 cents, but that whole assembly probably comes as one unit, and since it's related to the seatbelt (safety) it probably costs about $500.

Back