drivetrain clunk when coasting under 10mph (downshift?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

drivetrain clunk when coasting under 10mph (downshift?)

Bandido

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI sometimes Germany
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
When I am coasting towards a red light or so and it slows down to under 10mpg I get a clunk somewhere in the drivetrain.
At first I was thinking U-joints or so, but now I am wondering if it could be the transmission trying to shift down into 1st gear and maybe some clutchpack or so is sticking and then it hits the gear hard. I don't know if that is even possible, but that's what it feels like.

any ideas? Can something like that maybe even be fixed with changing the trans oil? what oil is recommended?

The truck has about 120k miles, and the SOHC combo. It was driving by to women for the first 100k. I thought that might be a good thing. But now the trans feels like it is going broke.

Also when I accelerate in reverse it feels like a clutch is slipping. is an automatic though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does it keep doing it, or it only does it once..

mine will keep making a clunk clunk clunk when im going very slow or coming to a stop and then a clunk

I experience the same thinng. Drives me crazy...

Do a search on "full stop thump" or "clunk". You'll find some info on how to possibly fix.

I resently had the transmission inspected and everything was fine.

The transmission was shifting like it should, and all the wear inside was even below normal. I know it can get annoying, but atleast in my case nothing it wrong with the transmission.

with me there is only one clunk at almost the same low speed (just under 10mph) it doesn't always happen, but most of the time. Almost everytime I go around a corner, slow down and get back on the gas in the corner.

Can it have anything to do with that my reverse is always feeling like it is slipping when I accelerate?

I was having this problem, but a tranny fluid flush took care of it (mostly). I still get a very slight "bump" when I'm braking to a stop, but it seems fairly normal to me.

I had the thump when coming to a stop. I followed the instructions for lubing the slip yoke found here and it went away after a few miles of driving. So far after six months it has not returned. :exp: :usa:

Check the slip yoke as others have suggested.

If that doesnt fix it - check the rear axle's pinion flange for play. If there is play, then the pinion bearings need to be replaced (there are two: inner and outer).

stupid question, but what and where is the slip yoke?

Where the driveshaft connects together.

The slip yoke is close to the transfer case. The "yoke" part is basically the front part of the driveshaft. The "slip" part is whats covered by a black ribbed boot - to protect the normally greased "slip yoke" from dust and dirt.

Slip Yoke

Run a search on the terms and you will find detailed instructions. They were so clear and easy even I was able to follow them and cure the problem. :usa: :exp:

I did a search in the photo gallery, and found a picture of a broken one that Rick posted. Here it is:
71loscoyotes_9_02_026.jpg

thanks a lot, I should be able to find out now if that was the problem...

Back