Drop leaf springs

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
Has anybody ever installed a set of drop leaf springs in the rear instead of putting blocks in? If so, how difficult would it be? When I lower, I think it might be a better option for me because it's safer than blocks, plus I wouldn't have to mess with the incorrect fitting u-bolts. :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is your safety issue with lowering blocks?

Thanks.....

where did you find lowered leafsprings for an explorer? or were you planning on removing a leaf or two from stock?

if you're worried about the axle pin, or the block itself breaking, check out AIM industries extruded aluminum blocks.

they claim they can handle 100,000 lbs. of pressure without breaking, while a cast metal block can actualy break with less than 2000 lbs.

"extruded block has a cnc machined steel pin, and the pinion angle is built into the block. Extruded steel forms a compression fit to the curve of your leafspring, forming a tight fit that will not loosen."

they don't cost much more than blocks from an autoparts store like autozone and they sound like a much better product for the money.

if AIM can't get you the proper u-bolts, here's another option. a guy at Seymour Alignment told me there is a place here in Indiana that he can order custom sized u-bolts from. You might give them a call (Seymour Alignment) at 812-522-6536. Seymour is less than an hour from southside indy. if you have them get the u-bolts, when you drive down to pick them up, you might as well have them put them on, too. i didn't lower the rear of my ex myself b/c the bolts were so corroded, they only charged me $20 to do the job.

i have changed leafs on many vehicles, and it aint hard. doesnt take much longer than installing blocks. just do one side at a time, have the frame supported by jackstands, and use a floorjack to raise/lower/move around the rear end housing.

Chassis Tech (AIM) makes 3 inch lowered leaf springs for the Explorer believe it or not. Doesn't seem like they would be that hard to install. Link is below.

Dead Link Removed

I have had a couple of these for sale for months now. I had many sets of the 3" dropped leafs. I was selling mine for 60-100.00 for the pair. Should have jumped on it then and saved some money. :confused:

Crap, didn't even know you had em for sale.

Be careful removing leaves from the stock leaf pack. It could lead to some very bad axle wrap.

Whos removing leafs?

Originally posted by benj75
where did you find lowered leafsprings for an explorer? or were you planning on removing a leaf or two from stock?

Him.

We are talking about replacing the whole pack with the Chassis Tech pack. Removing stock leaves would just be stupid IMO.

yup, removing stock leaves would probably be a bad idea.

i just asked because i didn't think anyone made dropped leaves and wondered if that was what you were planning.

thanks for the link, hartman.

i may go with those also when i do the adjuster flip. i'm lowered 2 inches right now and it's not enough.

Back