• Register Today It's free!

Drop Shocks Vs. Regular Shocks

platnumized02

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer sport
Which is better for an xplorer that has been dropped 2.5" Drop shocks or Regular shocks? I have a 1998 sport so in the rear the shocks are still the same length as from factory. However, in the front the torsion bar drop allows be to compress my shocks. Should I put smaller drop shocks designed for limited travel applications, or will I be ok with factory sized stiffer shocks? Has anyone here ever used drop shocks like belltek or toxic shock?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've heard there was only one company that makes drop shocks for the Explorers and that is the Edelbrock IAS. They are designed for Explorers that have been lowered 1.5". I have them and it kinda brings back the ride quality when it was still stock height.

Well bell tech and toxic shock don't make shocks for the explorers but they do make shocks for 4x2 rangers which have the same front end. What do you mean kind of bring the ride back? Are they too stiff or too soft? How much of a drop do you have?

They are a little stiff but they really help out the ride and handling of your lowered X. The only problem is that they are a little on the pricey side at $70 a piece.

I've heard of crazier prices on other vehicles that does not even come close to the ride quality that you will get from Edelbrock IAS. At $70, I think it's worth it. Although a lot will argue that statement but then again, a lot will agree with me.

I don't know where you guys are getting your prices but I got my Toxic Shocks for the front end for $85.00 shipped, and they charged me $15.00 for COD and $10.00 for the shipping itself. Originally the shocks were $29.99 each.

Originally posted by platnumized02
I don't know where you guys are getting your prices but I got my Toxic Shocks for the front end for $85.00 shipped, and they charged me $15.00 for COD and $10.00 for the shipping itself. Originally the shocks were $29.99 each.
X-factor and I were refering to the Edelbrock IAS shocks costing $70 a piece. I don't know the prices of other brands, just that they are usually cheaper. The Edelbrocks are worth the cost IMHO.

Back