Who has dumped their ARC for regular shocks? Recommendations please... | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who has dumped their ARC for regular shocks? Recommendations please...

You've got Bilstiens all around, then...? did you have the ARC system before? How are the Bilstiens?

Details please!

Cheers!

Sorry, no ARC system at any point, but I absolutely love the Bilsteins. I'm somewhat biased towards them since they are the go-to brand for some of my other vehicles. Can't beat the quality/reliability/performance. I had the OE shocks for a long time, then another popular brand, then shock nirvana with the Bilsteins. Might be a bit firm for some, but I really like the ride and the added "control" they seem to offer. Just my $0.02.

BK

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UPDATE - Ditching the ARC

(sent the majority of this message to Don, but thought the rest of you deserved an update)

Thanks for all your help in the last few months on this topic.

I am still a bit concerned about the weight that I keep in the truck and how any shock will seat the rear of the vehicle once installed.

I have recently turned off the ARC in my explorer, and after a week or so I think the air is gone from them. In general, I feel the vehicle has been handling great without that ARC on... but could be better still. Also, the vehicle doesnt look to be sagging in the rear with the system off... so thats good. Those new springs are probably doing their job.

I like the idea of the Koni's as it seems they are the best option apparently. Next will be the bilsteins of course. I'm not sure if I want to mix and match the fronts and rears though. Perhaps Konis up front and Strutmasters in the rear??? Anyone have thoughts on this? Just Koni all around? I think the Koni are adjustable, but what does that mean exactly? Height or stiffness?

The vehicle has had some accidents for sure... recently found this out. Rear ender, and some hit to the front, although we havent determined what happened, but there is evidence as the bolts on the fender are different on one side.

After turning off the ARC, the front drivers corner sits low for sure, which props the rear passenger up the most. So I think the replacing the body mounts you mentioned will be on the roster of things to do.

Also, I'm certain new torsion keys and heavier bars would make sense next.

I want to have all this dealt with by the end of the year. Thanks again for your input.

Any other suggestions for me?

Hello Nate, how is the truck doing now?

Do you have the bigger EE rear sway bar on the truck yet? That will make a huge difference in handling and safety. I would make sure to drive it with that first, to get a feel for the ride and handling before choosing even stiffer springs etc.

Changing the body bushings would be a good move, assuming yours are deteriorating. Some people have trucks with the bushings in certain spots almost gone, while others seem to be nearly like new. They are very hard to change, so be ready for that and plan on how to get the old parts out.

Do you have the bigger EE rear sway bar on the truck yet?

No not yet, work got super busy...time to think it all through, found out about some accidents the vehicle has been in... put it all together, get a game plan.

Changing the body bushings would be a good move, assuming yours are deteriorating. They are very hard to change, so be ready for that and plan on how to get the old parts out.

I dont think this is something that i will tackle on my own. I will get a body shop to do it. Wht kind of obstacles are there? How long should it take?

For the body mounts I would find a reputable 4WD shop that is familiar with changing them. In a perfect world anyone could change them in an hour or two. But for each one that is frozen in place, it could take an hour for one, or more, and/or a torch to heat or cut them out. There is a good thread here which describes the adventures of some members, plus part numbers and prices.

I'd get those inspected to first see if they need to be a priority.

Back