Who has dumped their ARC for regular shocks? Recommendations please... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who has dumped their ARC for regular shocks? Recommendations please...

cloud2or3

Reaction score
City, State
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Limited SOHC
As the title suggests, I'm pretty certain I am going to dump my ARC system.

I have an entire new front end, new heavier duty leafs, and a replacement shock system from Suncore Industries. I dont believe the Suncore product are robust enough to handle weight in the explorer. I bounce around from side to side front to back when hitting speed bumps and entering driveways. Further there is more lean than I would like, etc etc. Torsion screws are cranked.

Rear seat folded down and I always have weight in the truck. My aim is for handling, cornering, and overall shock absorbtion when I hit the bumps of course. A friend has the Bilsteins in his Durango and when you hit a bump (even on a mountain road) its over... like that.. like nothing happened. I like that! I also may or may not want to lower the truck (never off road),

My idea so far (remember I always have weight in the truck)...

Bilsteins up front or all around ( http://www.bilsteincanada.com/produ...cts_id=2554&osCsid=iijjs9gfr9n4b0km6utp1ldnt7 )
Heavier Torsion bars (Help? part number? Link?)
Torsion Keys (one of these > http://www.suspensionmaxx.com/index...at_fl[]=2&feat_2[]=8&feat_fl[]=3&vm_mnuf[]=85 or http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/key-fr98drop.htm)
Monroe SensiTrac's in the rear (heard good things http://www.monroe.com/products/Sensa-Trac/Load-Adjusting-Shock-Absorbers )

I need feedback, suggestions, links, the works!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump.

I know people have done this...

don't be shy lol...

Thanks!

Replacing Air Ride System

I am replacing the ARC this weekend and will post the results. I have been driving with the system off because of the overheating air compressor, about 20K miles now. I have 140K miles on this truck and this will be the first shock replacement. Too expensive from Ford.

I researched for replacements and even checked with Ford. Their pricing was in excess of $1600, with the service adviser stating that you had to replace with OEM. He wasn't even trying.

The parts I settled on are from Strutmasters. Part No. -XPL-4 1995-2001 Ford Explorer 4-Wheel Air Suspension Conversion Kit (Kit: XPL-F1; XPL-R1). two kits in one package; front & rear. Priced $327 + 18.54 shipping from Roxboro, NC. - http://www.strutmasters.com/Ford-Explorer-Air-Suspension-Conversion-Kits-p/-xpl-4.htm -

It's been a long time since I was able to get under a vehicle and do the actual work, so I have a younger friend who is career mechanic and also has an Explorer.

BTW - Strutmasters also included directions for disabling the ARC console message.

More to follow next week. Maybe some pics.

Pics?

Can you take pics of the strutmaster Shocks? The pics on their site are a little off... (wrong pics to go with said shocks-Monroe specifically)

I'm noticing that the Strutmaster rears look EXACTLY the same as the Monroes Sensi-trac load adjusting. Look here > http://catalog.monroe.com/catalogPa...atalogCode=monroe&locale=EN&loadStatus=ACTIVE

Also having troubles finding the load ratings on the Strutmasters > the Monroes are up to 1200 lbs.

When they are installed, how is the ride????

Thanks!

First, the ARC trucks have softer springs from Ford, on purpose. The ARC shocks are supposed to help provide a softer ride while giving control of height for varying loads.

You can install stiffer springs, which will help with loads after you swap out the ARC shocks. But the biggest improvement to handling and safety will come from a much bigger rear sway bar.

Find an EE rear bar and install that, it will help a ton with body sway.

The Sensa-trac shocks are a softer shock, smaller and/or not as heavy duty as some higher end shocks. The Bilsteins are very good shocks, strong but not an off road type shock.

For all on road, handling, buy Koni's, those are the best. Most of this site has lifted and/or partially off road trucks, so there are many heavy duty shocks to fit those needs.

I am not thrilled with the ride quality of my Explorer trucks, I think it's due to the torsion bar and limited wheel travel suspension. Lowering or lifting the trucks greatly reduces that wheel travel in one direction(up/down), so the best ride will come at about the stock height(or where the control arms are level).

Go getcha a big bar, see below.

Attachments

• EE rear sway bar.JPG
    EE rear sway bar.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,295

But the biggest improvement to handling and safety will come from a much bigger rear sway bar.
Find an EE rear bar and install that, it will help a ton with body sway. Go getcha a big bar, see below.
Amen. After replacing the OEM shocks, by far the best possible handling upgrade.
I felt no discernible difference between the EE X-Spec, and less expensive Addco 633.

http://www.explorerexpress.com/swaybars-9801-explorer-xspec-sway-rear-p-913.html

http://www.zabteck.com/swaybar.htm

First, the ARC trucks have softer springs from Ford, on purpose...

You can install stiffer springs... But the biggest improvement to handling and safety will come from a much bigger rear sway bar.

Find an EE rear bar and install that, it will help a ton with body sway.

The Sensa-trac shocks are a softer shock, smaller and/or not as heavy duty as some higher end shocks. The Bilsteins are very good shocks, strong but not an off road type shock.

For all on road, handling, buy Koni's, those are the best. Most of this site has lifted and/or partially off road trucks, so there are many heavy duty shocks to fit those needs.

Thanks Don! Great, some useful information!

Ok, so the Monroes are out it sounds like, especially since I carry weight.

RE the Koni's... I will def not be raising the Explorer. But over all, i want better handling, less sway, more control, etc. Thats what my thinking was on lowering it. But i've got the issue of the extra weight that is ALWAYS in the truck. I dont drive like a maniac, but as it is now, i dont feel safe even with my grandpa driving habits.

So the Koni's are still a good bet for on road? I got a little confused by what you said here > "For all on road, handling, buy Koni's, those are the best. Most of this site has lifted and/or partially off road trucks, so there are many heavy duty shocks to fit those needs."

What is that Sway bar EE off of? Sounds like an easy fix.

Check your rear sway bar links now, those are critical to good handling. I have had one pair that wore out(99 Explorer used for mail delivery). That truck handled poorly with the EE bar(pictured above), due to the bushings being junk in those end links. I installed new ones that I bought for my 98 truck(which are still good after 175k miles).

The Koni's I mentioned were found by another member, after I had bought Bilstein's. I would have bought them I knew that they existed. Check pricing, you have to shop around and price match sometimes.

The Bilstein's used to be about $250, I also got the fifth shock(it's for handling). The Koni's I think will be a good $100 more at least.

Oh, BTW, I have the Addco front bar on my Mountaineer. I like it, I'm an old customer of theirs. But don't use the hardware they provide, I knew that before I bought the bar. They make great bars, but the hardware is poor quality. Don't use the front frame brackets at all, they do not attach properly to the frame(bolt heads contact the bracket way before being tight). The result will be either bent bolts, and/or broken bolts due to the bolts not seating flush with the bracket/frame. I have custom made frame brackets.

The rear bar bushings are rubber, as nobody uses anything but the stock parts. The Addco rear bar is smaller than the EE bar, so it may be possible to put together rear bars with urethane bushings. If not I'd prefer the EE bar.

Attachments

• PICT2347.jpg
    PICT2347.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,213

Thanks!

"The front sway bar looks huge on your 95-97, but it's a hollow 3/16 wall tube. Replace it with our stiff, solid 1.375 front and the rear with our 1.125 bars and you're on your way to flat Euro sedan type handling."

Looks like this project is going to get pricey...haha. I guess I'll start with the shocks... either the Koni's or the Bilsteins... not sure if I want to fork out the cost on the Koni's as it looks like there will be quite a few more parts/installs needed.

Thanks for the help! any more input is greatly appreciated... i have some direction now...

ahhhh Daniel-san

EE means 'Explorer Express'..... ahhhhh, i thought it was a product code or something.

And it sounds like there is no seen difference from the EE or addco. I've always heard good things about addco.

The Addco rear bar is 1" vs. the 1.25 EE. Not sure on the EE, but the Addco is made of
very strong chromalloy steel. Zabteck includes free shipping, these weigh about 20 lbs. each.
BTW, the Explorer Express front bar appears identical to the Addco 737, they may be the same.

SAME??? ...hate that

I'll enquire with EE about the composition of the swaybars, and who manufactures them.

I dislike when companies label something as their own, charge more, when they are actually just rebranded.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Koni source?

Can anyone link me to a good deal on the Koni's?

I can get the Bilsteins for $93 shipped each in Canada from Essex Distributors.

The Koni's are on sale at the Koni site for $232 a pair, before shipping, taxes, duty, kings ransom, hosing, extortion fees, etc.

I'd pay for the koni's if I can get a 'slightly better deal' Any sellers on the forum?

Link's please. Thanks!

Any further feedback on this thread is still welcomed, just playing with the options at this moment...researching...

I would say that Sensatrac where too soft on rear for me. I did get KYB Gas-A-Just because I think that a monotube is the best solution for our trucks (Bilstein are monotubes too). KYB has a "higher" capability monotube too (MonoMax) but I was afraid would make my truck too stif.
Tires also have a huge importance in how a small bump is felt. Something like a bad joint between to highway plates, at tthat speed, will not be absorbed by shocks or springs - only tires can react so fast to that. The OE tires that I have now are crap.

True, the tires are at least as important as anything else mentioned.

True, the tires are at least as important as anything else mentioned.

Ive still got my snows on, about 2 weeks behind on the switchover for Vancouver, BC, Canada weather... this week for sure.

Either way, the front end handles the bumps much better than the rear. I've replaced virtually everything in the front, and virtually nothing in the rear (except shocks).

So I'm going to start in the rear...

I'm leaning towards:
KONI Rear Shocks
Bilstein 5th Shock (pricey... anyone have an equal monotube option?)
Addco Rear Swaybar
new Rear Endlinks (Moog)

Next the Front:
Koni Front Shocks
Addco Front Swaybar

What do you think about that?

Will I need new front Swaybar Bushings? I just bought new ones about 3 months ago...

Cloud- All the right parts in all the right places. Great upgrades!
Keep in mind when choosing shocks, larger sway bars will slightly
increase ride stiffness. If you've driven your Explorer for a while,
the handling improvement is astounding. Never seen a bad review.

I have installed the Monroe fifth one (SC2958).
Supposedly has Full Displaced Valving (better valving range on both the compression and extension cycles) and Micro-Cellular Gas Design (allows unit to be mounted horizontally).
Now, Bilstein have two versions too of their shocks for our Explorer, like KYB.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd wait on the front sway bar for now, you are doing a bunch and it wouldn't hurt to leave that until last. Concentrate on tires, shocks, springs, and bushings for those items.

Didn't you say you had replaced the leaf springs? I ask because the ARC leafs are soft, and I know how poorly they do with any kind of load in the back. I'm planning to change leaf springs some day myself, that can be a big job.

Back