Drum Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drum Removal

ron94sport

Reaction score
I had no problem getting off the passenger side drum on my 94 Sport...retracted shoes and pulled right off. The drivers side appears to be frozen onto the axle hub. I have beaten, heated, used penetracting fluid, and yelled obscene words at the damn thing. Are there any tools or other hints for removing a stuck drum?

Thanks,

Ron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the best way I have found to get the drums off.
Go some where and get a free estimate on a brake job and tell them to forget it after they put it back togather drive home and take it apart and do it yourself. Works for me every time, the drums will come right off then.

Try this:

1) Spray WD-40 where the hub and drum meet
2) Chock the front wheels
3) Set parking brake
4) Shift in to drive, then reverse

Continue this until you hear the drum "break loose". The parking brake will hold the drum in place as the axle hub attempts to turn forward and backwards.

CAUTION: Make absolutely sure that the vehicle is not rolling forwards or backwards when you do this. If it does it may fall off the jack.

Works every time. Good luck...

I built a jig to go over my ten dollar flywheel puller to exend it out as wide as brake drums. Takes 'em right off. I like these two suggestions though.

Assuming the shoes are retracted, and it's actually caught up on the hub, just get the biggest friggin' hammer you can find and give the drum a few good whacks. Some heat on the drum itself, and some beeswax melted into the joint might help.

I never thought of setting the parking brake... I think that would actually work... the shoes should hold it... maybe while it's in gear like that, with the pressure on it, you could bang on the drum.... I suspect the inside face of the drum just corroded to the outside face of the hub...

-Joe-

I used the ebrake method and worked perfectly...thanks everyone for you help. I highly suggest the ebrake method it this happens to anyone.

Back