drum to disc master cylinder questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

drum to disc master cylinder questions

Bored_2wd

Reaction score
City, State
Westmont, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger
Hi Guys,
I've got a ranger with a swapped in an explorer rear disc axle a few years ago. Interested in changing the master cylinder, which options do I want? I don't think I want speed control or proportioning valve, right? But I want the power brakes? I've got the proportioning valve below on the frame, do I need to change that also?
--Bob
BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER for a
1995 FORD TRUCK EXPLORER 4WD
POWER BRAKES (Change)
WITHOUT SPEED CONTROL (Change)
WITHOUT PROPORTIONING VALVE (Change)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi 410!
It's a '93, and has RABS. I actually would like to keep it.
I'll go read the thread. Thanks!
--Bob

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought ALL 93 and later Explorers had 4-WHEEL ABS, not RABS.

I thought that 91 and 92 Explorers had the rear ABS (RABS) system same as later Bronco II's.

I've got a 93 ranger though. They converted to 4wheel abs in I believe '94.

Bored,

Your RABS system is independant of the master cylinder, the conversion will be the same as I did. I removed my RABS valve, the RABS system has been unhooked on my truck for about 4 years........I dont like it in a lifted bII, I'll pump my own brakes.

If you do keep the RABS valve, wiring, computer, etc you will have to hook up the stator wires (speed sensor) in the 8.8, they should be similar to what your 7.5" had.

You might consider removing the RABS valve while you re-do the master too, since you will have to bleed both rears anyways, remove the RABS valve and clean the screen on the inlet side, also dont forget to bleed the RABS vavle prior to bleeding the rear discs........

Back